Can an Abu 5600C frame (chrome w/ red thumb bar)

Started by tincanary, June 11, 2019, 11:28:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tincanary

Can this work with the newer Ultra Cast design reels?  I have one in the parts bin and test fit a newer 5600 C4 brake plate and it almost fits.  By almost, I mean all the pins line up except for the pin on the thumb bar itself.  Can I grind metal out of the brake plate to accommodate the thumb bar pin?  I'm getting Frankenreel ideas.

alantani

not sure on this one.  this is one situation where calipers really help!!!!!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

tincanary

Quote from: alantani on June 11, 2019, 11:45:43 PM
not sure on this one.  this is one situation where calipers really help!!!!!

I have some.  What should I be measuring?

reel man

Yes you can, the thumbbar pin is a wee bit larger than the slot on the inside ring. You have to remember to push the thumbar in the up position when assembling the reel. Also you'll need to remove the engagement lever on the right side.

tincanary

Good news, it works!  I had to dremel the pin on the thumb bar a couple mm to clear the position holder and dremel the thumb bar pin hole in the brake plate a bit, but it works great. 

Rivverrat

Crow

Good job !  If it don't fit...MAKE it fit !!
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

tincanary

I think it looks and feels really good.  FWIW, I used the part # 20686 position holder without the integrated return spring.  In this config the return spring goes from the clutch arm to a stud on the brake plate.  I believe the part was used in the 4500CS and 6500CS foot number 0400.

Reelmeneer

Nice job! Great looking thumbbar. This reel is not an ultracast i think.... Note the hole on the side-cover. In my opinion it is een AB (Anti-backlash)

Nevertheless, nice conversion!!

Grtz, Ed

tincanary

Quote from: Reelmeneer on July 15, 2019, 12:56:05 PM
Nice job! Great looking thumbbar. This reel is not an ultracast i think.... Note the hole on the side-cover. In my opinion it is een AB (Anti-backlash)

Nevertheless, nice conversion!!

Grtz, Ed

Good eye, the side plates, spool, and brake plate did in fact come from a 5600AB.  I got the 5600AB really cheap because it had a broken thumb bar but the rest of it was mint.  No blemishes on either side plate.  I superglued the plug in there to keep crud out.  Many other AB reels I've seen that had the AB mechanism removed had a gaping hole, ain't having none of that.  On the Ultra Cast end, don't Ultra Cast reels have the axle and bearings located inside the spool versus the older design with the spool shaft and bearings in the side plates?  This one has the fixed axle and bearings inside the spool.

pointbob

Quote from: tincanary on June 11, 2019, 11:28:10 PMCan this work with the newer Ultra Cast design reels?  I have one in the parts bin and test fit a newer 5600 C4 brake plate and it almost fits.  By almost, I mean all the pins line up except for the pin on the thumb bar itself.  Can I grind metal out of the brake plate to accommodate the thumb bar pin?  I'm getting Frankenreel ideas.

gorgeous reel but it's not an ultra cast....i think it says uc on the side plate..don't see it on yours...so happy it worked because i maybe in a similar dilemma of needing a thumbar (lol ps did not read the post above me...such a space cadet)

PS2: CRAP; you cannot buy just the thumb bar part? it's attached to the frame?? I looked up abu schematic for the part number but cannot locate it...so this is gonna be a real frankenstein reel??

Patience comes to those who wait