New (3rd) Black Walnut Box for Texas

Started by mmayo, June 12, 2019, 04:10:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmayo

I just finished this Series 7 box for a gentleman in Texas. I am happy with the results.

Kites fly the highest against the wind, not with it.

wailua boy

foakes

Your wood and grain placement choices are excellent, Mark —

Plus, the SS hardware set against the darker wood — really "Pops", and sez durability and beauty.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Tiddlerbasher

Alto Mare

Beautifully done Mark, he will be very happy...love that wood choice!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

CapeFish

Amazing! I won't take it fishing it is too beautiful. my tackle box is all bashed up and full of sand!

thorhammer

I have had my mahogany box ten months just looking at- i did finally take it fishing last week. Everyone is stunned by it. Mark this walnut is awesome. Ya go me thinking about a rye case for my Angel's Envy (Scotch is nasty :)

John

swill88

Great looking box Mark!
I love that you concealed the hinge leaves.
How were you able to do this?

Steve

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

El Pescador

Quote from: thorhammer on June 12, 2019, 10:51:04 AM
...Everyone is stunned by it. Mark this walnut is awesome. Ya go me thinking about a rye case for my Angel's Envy (Scotch is nasty :)
John

To the Great And Powerful Thorhammer!!!!

Stop Day Dream'm and GET IT DONE!!!   And Mark Mayo is just the right guy for your project.

We have been enjoying the Scotch & Fishy Glass box he custom made for me.   Check out his handi work!!!!

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=19070.0

Enjoyed so much, that I couldn't keep THE (Ron Jones) MAN off the scotch or glasses. In Fact, RON??  I never found the Jim Beam Black after our last Morro Bay Trip!!!!

Well worth the few shillings Mark charges for his valuable time & woodsmith work.

Also, I'm looking for my next bottle of eastern North Carolina BBQ sauce!  Got any recommendations????

Wayne

Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Ron Jones

That's a shame, Wayne. I enjoy it often. I also have recently discovered that Ron Bacardi is selling his Black rum again, what a Mai Tai!
When it comes to most libations, Black is better.
Ron Jones
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

mmayo

Quote from: Crow on June 12, 2019, 01:07:01 PM
Super job !

You route tricky hinge mortises. I say tricky as you need the move the entire box past the router bit. It always works, but there is a pucker factor.

Donnyboat

Lovely work Mark, your a gifted man, to good to take fishing, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

steelhead_killer

><)))">

mmayo

Quote from: swill88 on June 12, 2019, 12:41:11 PM
Great looking box Mark!
I love that you concealed the hinge leaves.
How were you able to do this?

Steve

Fish it baby