Measuring drag washer thickness

Started by Recoil Rob, June 14, 2019, 03:39:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recoil Rob

Going to be replacing washers in an Okuma Epixor EB 50 spinning reel. Not a popular reel but I figure Dawn may have something that will work.

It's a 3 washer stack, I can measure OD and ID but when measuring thickness on old washers is it wise to add a bit to make up for wear?
My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
   - Errol Flynn

Tiddlerbasher

Okuma spinners, like many others, are 1mm thickness. Daiwa are sometimes an exception using .5mm ;)

Recoil Rob

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
   - Errol Flynn

foakes

On these Okuma spinners, Rob —

There are a few ways to go on CF's —

— Smooth Drag will have something that will work

— Just get a small sheet of CF to cut your own (very simple)

— Or, just get (3) Penn 6-309's — they just drop in — that is what I generally do — quick and easy.  The  hole in the middle is slightly larger — but the OD is perfect, and the thickness is just right.  I like the center hole slightly larger than the spool shaft or arbor — as long as the OD is perfect.  Works good.

Here is a new spool like yours, as an example — just subbed the 309 HT-100's, greased them with Cal's — ready to roll.

The original factory drags are also decent — felt impregnated with oil.  CF's or HT-100's are better for smoothness and longevity.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.