Ahi Shootout 2019

Started by Tightlines667, June 17, 2019, 02:07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

We moved Bob's Cabo35 from Pearl Harbot to Koolina Marina on Wednesday and prefished in anticipation of this year's Ahi Shootout.

We caught 1-117lb Yellowfin Tuna.

We prepped the boat Friday evening, attended the captain's meeting, got 2hours of sleep, and left the dock at 0330hrs.  After checking in, and getting inspected all 150 boats got underway at 0530hrs.  We ran a large ballyhoo way back on the center, naked-rigged mackrel on the long riggers, marlin lures on the short riggers, and corner, and a ballyhoo/islander on a planer.

We ran north and got lines set at 0615hrs, 4nm shy of CO bouy.  Found a few birds working CO but no bites.  Trolled the 1500fa on a downwind run and around 0810 the left long popped, then the right long came tight.  Fish ran about 400yards off and stayed deep.  He was on a 130st running 32lbs at a full spool, and I fought him from the corner shotgun holder for about an hour before he came to the surface.  I thought the fish might have been a contender Ahi the way he behaved, but was surprised to see a Blue Marlin fowl hooked below the dorsal fin surface alongside the boat.  We gaffed him and continued trolling the area.  

Around 0930hrs, a few miles south, a violent splash errupted on the long center.  The fish dove deep and ran about 350 yards before settling down.  I fought the fish the same way, and a 98lb Yellowfin Tuna was brought to gaff about 30 minutes later.  We worked the arra for several hours, then back to CO.  

We ran ibto a group of Mahi that didn't want to bite near the bouy, and worked way south before heading inside.  The rest of the day was uneventful with stop fishing at 4 pm.  We weighed the fish at 426pm, ran back to the marina, and celebrated at the dock for a few hours.

We took first place in the Marlin catagory of the 2019 Ahi Shootout with a Blue weighing 185lbs.

We also landed the 10th largest Ahi.

The 55 of 150 boats that participated weighed 67 fish including: 27 Ahi, 21 Marlin, 8 Ono, 5 Mahi, & 6 Aku.

Great way to spend a Saturday.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Benni3

Wow!!!!! Nice trip man,,,,,,,, ;D

Crow

Thanks for taking us along ! Looks like a fun, and productive trip !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Donnyboat

Well done John, great day, good memories, thanks for the pics, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Ron Jones

I mean,
when you have a chance to ride on a 35 Cabo, does it really matter if you catch any fish?
Looks like a great time. I LOVE the Ko Olina marina. Probably the thing I miss the most about the island.
Ron Jones
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Maxed Out

Congrats on your derby fish.....looks like loads of fun
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Congratulations to you and your fishing friends John.  You guys are highliners this year!

Thanks for another great report.