Senator 9/0 115L vs 115L2 difference

Started by SalazarM, June 17, 2019, 04:17:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SalazarM

So, ive been lurking in the dark in the forum, and cracking open my 9/0 to see how and what i can improve on it. Until the a frame piece broke, the hole that holds the eccentric, and eccentric spring, and eccentric Lever.

Which then sparked the question: is a 115L internally (frame construction and parts placement) the same as a 115L2?  Or are the dimensions different? Because if that is the case, with the increasing number of 115L2s on the market has anyone actually build better sideplatez? Or came up with fixes?  J figure if a piece that does not hold a lot of pressure broke, then, its just a matter of time before a 115L2 gets K.O. By a 30-50# fish.

Shark Hunter

What Broke?
I didn't think the L2 was inferior, but I don't own one.
Life is Good!

RowdyW

The only difference I see between a L2 & a L is the L2 has a 5 hole plate & the L has a 8 hole plate. What broke on your plate? Or did you break the frame? Photos? There is no weakness in either plate. I'm not a big fan of the graphite frames on the L2. Abuse will break anything. If you need super strength then get a set of Cortez aluminum plates & frame. A bone stock L or L2 will pull in a 500 pound Shark without breaking.          Rudy

SalazarM

Well after some tinkering with the frame the eccentric jack hole broke, so the eccentric lever doesnt stay within the perameters. Causing the tension spring to come off loose. And making the reel not fishable. After some digging, and researching i decided id make my own side plates out of aluminum. Then Decided why not just go ahead and revamp the reel all together.

Currently working on side plates and wide frame, followed by wide spool, and a 2 speed conversion, redo the drag all together since the 2 speed would have to change ratios, and design. Thus moving the drag from its current position.

The project is still in the works. Ill keep yall updated when i complete a fully functional reel.
Goal:
2 speed senator
9/0 wide
All aluminum / stainless
Upgrade ratios
55# drag

JoseCuervo

We are definitely going to need pictures.

:o

Shark Hunter

All Metal Versions of these reels have already been made here. Just not two speed or wide.
The Jack pin is a common problem, even on the bigger senators. It is an easy fix.
Life is Good!