Daiwa 130X, a look inside

Started by festus, June 17, 2019, 07:28:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

I got this reel and serviced it a couple months ago.  Since I took pictures, might as well share with this group.  

It was clean on the outside and appeared well taken care of.

After removing the side plate, it appeared also very clean inside.  It had been serviced with some blue grease in the past, but it had dried considerably.

It had one of those simple oscillation arms secured with a non-threaded pin.

You can see it was clean underneath all the gearing.

This part known as the pinion retainer fastens the rotor to the housing.

This reel cleaned up with very little effort.

It has a hard fiber washer at the bottom and two teflons above.

Decided to try Super Lube instead of Penn blue grease.

Time to reattach the rotor and reinstall the main gear.

Almost finished.

These reels weigh 11.75 oz, line capacity is 200 yd 8 lb mono or 125 yd of 10 lb mono.  They are readily available on ebay for 6 bucks up to 10 bucks, don't remember what I paid for this one, doubtful if it was over $10.  The schematic lists part no. 37 and part no. 42 as metal bearings, but they're actually teflon bushings. Definitely a B-grade spinner.  I wouldn't want to test this reel with a steady diet of catching fish over 7-8 pounds, but it would fare well with panfish and eater size channel cats, walleye, and river fishing for smallmouth.

happyhooker

Nice look at a little recognized reel.

Frank

festus

Checking schematics, there is also a smaller 100X, and two larger reels, the 160X and 250X.  All schematics list metal bearings instead of teflon bushings on the main gear and sideplates.  ???  Perhaps mine is a later model?

basto

That's a fairly sturdy little reel for its line class. I have a couple of later model Daiwa Hardbodyz that have a bearing on each side of the main gear and an A/R roller bearing on the pinion, but the Hardbodyz do not envelope the whole body. They have two pieces of hard plastic at the rear of the reel that are not desirable at all.
The way they built these older bodies are much better.
Greg
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Donnyboat

Nice work Greg, thanks for showing us, I have a couple to work on soon, so this post will be a good help, cheers Don
Don, or donnyboat

festus

Might as well post the insides of a Daiwa B-130.

mo65

I've noticed the 130X, A-130, and B-130 all seem to be basically the same reel under the hood. The biggest difference appears to be the outside appearance. The early B-130 schematic(1975) shows a lackluster drag set up, while all the others use a three stack system. I only have the A-130RL, but it's a decent reel. The quantity of these reels out there being bought and sold proves they have some degree of staying power. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Decker

Quote from: mo65 on June 18, 2019, 04:30:27 PM
   I've noticed the 130X, A-130, and B-130 all seem to be basically the same reel under the hood. The biggest difference appears to be the outside appearance. The early B-130 schematic(1975) shows a lackluster drag set up, while all the others use a three stack system. I only have the A-130RL, but it's a decent reel. The quantity of these reels out there being bought and sold proves they have some degree of staying power. 8)

Guys, glad I found this thread.  I have a Gamefisher SP13 that I suspect to be a member of this family.   It has the same line capacities as Festus listed.  I'd like to find a handle for it, and according to what I read here, it looks like any Daiwa *130* handle is likely to work.  What do you think?

mo65

Hey Joe,
   That threaded section in the handle hole...is it part of the main gear shaft? The 130s have the threads attached to the handle.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Decker

Mo, thanks.  So I'm inferring that the Daiwa 130 handles don't fit.  I suspect the threaded shaft is on the main gear,  but will need to open it.  I use it as a fidget spinner at work.

basto

The reel you have has the same handle attachment function that my Daiwa Catalina has. The handle has the inside threaded female and the gear shaft has the male thread, the opposite way to most other spinners.

Greg
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

bushleague

Old thread, I know, but I just saw it and had to respond. I have two of these reels, as well as a 160x and A-130rl. While they arent as beefy as the Black Gold and C series reels, I love them because they are so easy to maintain. Unlike allot of vintage reels they are user friendly and light enough for my wife and kids to use without too many headaches. We mostly use them with 10lb mono for pike and walleye and catch a fair number of pike in the 36" to 40" range each year on them, as well as a 43" monster my youngest daughter caught a couple seasons back. While the rotor attachment system and nylon bearings don't seem exactly ideal for chasing big fish, they are holding up much better than the $50 Shimano's my kids were burning through before I discovered these.

P8120427 by , on Flickr

thorhammer

That's a heckuva fish! and heckuva a testament!

bushleague

Quote from: thorhammer on March 17, 2021, 12:06:52 AM
That's a heckuva fish! and heckuva a testament!

Thanks, it took the girls about 20 minuets to get that fish to the boat on 10lb line. The whole time I was wishing we had heavyer line, when we finally got it in, the fish was just ever so lightly hooked in the gum... even with 15 lb line I think we'd have tore the hook out. It took that incident to get me to realize I lose far more fish by pulling the hook out than I do by breaking the line... theres probably a bit of a lesson in there for the 80lb braid guys ;)

I know the photo makes it look like we kept the fish, but we caught it close to shore and just pulled it over to the beach for the picture, it was released in fine form... might be 50" by now.

happyhooker

Nice family time.  May have made a new lifetime angler.

Frank