Hail to the Chief

Started by Maxed Out, June 18, 2019, 01:09:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maxed Out

Finally got a break in the weather. Headed to the coast and met up with "The Chief" Ron Jones. We stayed in a bungalow cabin that was nothing but a tool shed with bunks instead of tools.

Headed out early Saturday and about 10 miles out the conditions got a bit sloppy, but onward we went to the 44 mile mark. The fishing grounds were very sloppy with decent swell and 15-20 wind. We had a hard time trying to back troll and keep gear on bottom in 650'.... No bites for about 2 hours, then I moved us to a shallower spot and right away we had action. My friend Steve reeled in 3 halibut and I did the same. Ron reeled in 4 total and we only fished there for less than 2 hours. We had a blast and the 3 butts we kept were 25-35#. We each also lost several strikes. Water depth was 400'. Most the fish came on pipe jigs. Ron caught a couple on a 750g Norwegian jig, then switched to a pipe and showed us how it's done. We had triple header twice.

Done by noon and 8 hours later back at home. A long day but well worth the effort

Ted

Sorry, I got no pics. Maybe the Chief can post up a pic or 2.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Rivverrat

Yes, I hope to see some pics of what sounds to have been a fun trip... Jeff

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Keta

I am glad you fianaly got out.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Ron Jones

Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

gstours

Glad to see some more posts on the Northwest Sector.  Sounds like a good ending to a so so start.  Do you dress up your jigs with some bait?  Whatever works I always say! ;) ;)

Ron Jones

I've got the pictures loaded in the gallery and will get them posted after work. We used bare jigs; I've used baited jigs and jigs with hoochies and beads and all sorts of what not all over them and have never noticed a difference. It was my first time using Norwegian jigs, I will be investing in them, a bunch of work but man what a rush, and the halibut seem to love them.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Hardy Boy

What a bad stretch of weather down there Ted ! Too bad we had to scrub the two trips when we were going. Funny up here glow is the way to go and I tip all of my jigs with bait. We do not fish that deep though. I love the Norwegian jigs for lings and also top rig some with hootchies for halibut. The downside to that big treble on the bottom of the jig, is they are easy to loose if you are fishing "hungry" bottom ...................... and they are super expensive (over $40 Can peso for a 16 oz).

I guess I have to wait until Sept. to see The Man ........................ I can wait ! ;D

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

Ron Jones

If someone can tell me how to post pictures from the gallery, I'll let you all see them.
Ron Jones
Ronald Jones
"

Maxed Out

Quote from: Ron Jones on June 19, 2019, 04:05:35 AM
If someone can tell me how to post pictures from the gallery, I'll let you all see them.
Ron Jones

When posting, Click on "additional options"  and then you click "browse" and you can add any pic from any file you choose that is stored in your computer

oc1

Quote from: Maxed Out on June 19, 2019, 04:30:45 AM
When posting, Click on "additional options"  and then you click "browse" and you can add any pic from any file you choose that is stored in your computer
That's convenient  Thanks Ted.
-steve

Ron Jones

OK, I'll take care of that tonight
Thanks, brother
The Man
Ronald Jones
"

Dominick

Would someone please post a photo of a Norwegian Jig?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Maxed Out

Sorry for the confusion...

I call it Norwegian jig because they're made in Norway. The actual jig is called a "Solvkroken".....plus Norwegian is easier to pronounce lol

-Ted

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !