The 2200ck Sigma 040

Started by mo65, December 07, 2019, 07:51:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

These Sigmas can bring pretty high prices on the auction sites, they seem to be a very collectible reel. I saw this one at a decent price, and since I remember these from my youth, I wanted to hold one again. I don't think I ever owned a Sigma spinner back in the day. I had a Sigma casting combo, but I certainly liked these hot looking spinners.
   Popping the side plate off, I was greeted by a horrendous mess. Oil had been poured on over the old dirty grease...probably my most hated clean up...by the time it's done every finger nail on both hands has black crud underneath.

Looking behind the gear we find a forward type AR design that keeps pressure off the gear mesh when the spool is screaming. This is the feature that makes a reel with a cast or alloy drive gear difficult to brand a "B". There are brass bushings on both sides of the drive shaft also.

The pinion/bearing assembly. The bearing was a bit crunchy, I thought it might need to be replaced, but after a blast of Paslode cleaner it felt like new.

Under both the rotor and spool was more oil. the drag clicker was so gummed up it wouldn't even move. The bail was weak also, but after cleaning it snapped to life.

The red arrow indicates the only plastic piece under the hood, and wouldn't ya know, it's broken. It's the silent AR cam...and since I like an audible AR...I tossed it into the round file. ;D

Taking a closer look at that cam you can see where the "ramp" used to be.

I knew the handle arm was going to need some paint, so since I was already working on it, I thought a new knob might be in order.

This handle has a peened post, which has to be drilled out.

I taped off the gear ratio logo and sanded the rough spots. She's ready for a smear of paint

The finished handle. :o

All ready to glue back together. I love the minimum number of parts on these reels. The drags are teflon and very smooth. The internal bail trip works so much better than those external types. The line roller is free spinning on these reels also.

The new handle knob ties in great with the red lettering. I'm thinking the larger models from this series would be killer with carbon fiber drags. I wonder...what ever happened to my old Sigma baitcaster? 8)

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

foakes

Nice restore, Mike --

Those are good, solid, spinners.

Observation and food for thought...is it any coincidence that the ONLY plastic part inside this very fine spinner -- is the only one to fail?

Most failures of any reel -- are engineered and included by the manufacturers under the guise of smoothness -- when the real reasons are ease of manufacturing those parts -- and saving a few pennies.

In reality, even that approach would not be so bad -- except for the fact that the little plastic part has been obsolete since about 3 years after this reel was produced.

What other possible reasons could there be for doing a job partway -- except for $$$ and non-caring pride in their finished product?

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Dominick

He Mo get that out of the round file.  Someone on the site should be able to make one on a lathe.  BTW black fingernails is a status symbol for AT members.   :D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

basto

Nice reel Mo. Practically the same inside as the 2400 series.
Greg
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Dominick

One more thought Mo.  3D printing.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

mo65

Quote from: Dominick on December 07, 2019, 08:46:54 PM
One more thought Mo.  3D printing.  Dominick

Yes...I believe that part is something the 3D printer could spit out. I really like the sound of the reel without it though.

Ruffy

Good job Mo! These are the fishing reel I grew up with, I've ended up collecting three which my kids now use. Mine had oiled felt drag washers, but Dawn's no 2 sized carbontex is a straight drop in replacement. Caught some good sized fish on them too, biggest was a shovel nosed ray of about a metre and a half we managed to get boat side before release, gave it a good workout!

Cheers,
Andrew

festus

Great job, Mo, that reel almost looks new!  The ultralight model is bringing top dollar too.

Gfish

Couldn't really figure out that silent AR cam, Mo. How does that work and how does it make the AR silent? I see a spring on the AR...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

mo65

Quote from: Gfish on December 07, 2019, 10:23:38 PM
Couldn't really figure out that silent AR cam, Mo. How does that work and how does it make the AR silent? I see a spring on the AR...

Let me see if I can describe this without pics...since she's buttoned up.:D  The AR dog has a "notch" cut in the back of it. The ramp on the plastic cam catches in that notch. That pulls the dog up off the ratchet slightly when spinning forward, silencing the dog. Then when you stop and wind backward the plastic cam pushes the dog back down onto the ratchet. I believe the spring aids in keeping the dog snappy. Oddly enough, the whole thing works exactly like a normal anti-reverse when you sling that plaster in the trash! 8)

Sharkb8

Good job Mike great little reels, I still have one caught some good size fish on them, I had the 025 and the 035 using 1and 2kg line caught up to 85cm mulloway and 12lb carp and many other fish .

happyhooker

Nice look at this reel & good work on the rehab.  Refinishing the handle came out super.

Frank

DougK

Quote from: mo65 on December 07, 2019, 11:17:34 PM
Quote from: Gfish on December 07, 2019, 10:23:38 PM

Let me see if I can describe this without pics...since she's buttoned up.:D  The AR dog has a "notch" cut in the back of it. The ramp on the plastic cam catches in that notch. That pulls the dog up off the ratchet slightly when spinning forward, silencing the dog. Then when you stop and wind backward the plastic cam pushes the dog back down onto the ratchet. I believe the spring aids in keeping the dog snappy. Oddly enough, the whole thing works exactly like a normal anti-reverse when you sling that plaster in the trash! 8)

interesting, thank you..
I just finished playing with a Zebco PS2 ultralight which has the same plastic cam in it, but I did not find any spring for the ratchet. So if that bit of plastic goes bad, there goes the antireverse. Guess I could fabricate a spring for the ratchet in that case..

mo65

Quote from: DougK on February 19, 2020, 10:03:57 PM
Interesting, thank you..
I just finished playing with a Zebco PS2 ultralight which has the same plastic cam in it, but I did not find any spring for the ratchet. So if that bit of plastic goes bad, there goes the antireverse. Guess I could fabricate a spring for the ratchet in that case..

Yes, I'd say you should be able to rig in a spring.

smnaguwa