2499 Gold!

Started by dpabrams, June 18, 2019, 02:34:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dpabrams

This little beauty came up on eBay and I instantly paid the $69.98 " Buy it Now" with free shipping. I would say it's in near mint condition and I got lucky as I think it could have gone for twice that in an auction. I believe this series was sandwiched between the 2400 and 2200 series but I am not for sure. I have no recollection of ever seeing these reels when I was into the 2400 and 2200 back in the early-mid-eighties. It was stuck nearly shut with grease that had hardened and turned to hard wax. Disassembly begin tonight and into the ultra-sonic cleaner. I am using Simple Green for the first time. I will only go partial as the bail and rotor are good to go.

Crow

Looks like you got a nice one !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

foakes

Nice little ultralight, dpabrams!

Be careful of the Simple Green on the painted surfaces — if kept too long in the US Cleaner.  It could dull the paint, labels, or adhesive badging a bit.

HD Dawn dish soap in warm water is a good cleaner on these.

SG should be OK for about 5 minutes in the US cleaner — just to loosen the hardened grease crud — but only after removing as much of the hardened grease as possible with Q-tips and popsicle sticks.

On the rotor — it may seem to work well now — but these are simple to disassemble (not too many parts) — so I would recommend a full disassembly, cleaning, and light syn oil lubing.

From my experience, the times that I have tried to get by without doing a complete job on a reel — are just a constant concern.

If you do the job properly 100% — the 10% that wasn't done...never becomes an issue.

The main issue in my opinion — on these excellent spinners that parts are no longer available for — is to make them 110% properly operational — then I don't have to look for a donor parts reel down the road.

Nice purchase!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

Nice find! Those are from the mid '70s, tough to find and fairly collectible. They also came in a European version that is green with a silver spool.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

dpabrams

Thanks for the tips. I may have used the Simple Green too long but I didn't get burned this time but I will be more careful next time. I appreciate the diagram very much. I'm just not confident enough yet to tear into a bail spring unless I absolutely have too. I also DO NOT have the pliers to remove the retainer ring (wish I even knew what to get)?  I just bought my first metric sockets last night and I still need a better set of screwdrivers. Here are some tear down shots. The grease was hard! I used dental tools, Q-tips and nylon brushes for the worst of it.

festus

Quote from: dpabrams on June 18, 2019, 11:58:09 PM
Thanks for the tips. I may have used the Simple Green too long but I didn't get burned this time but I will be more careful next time. I appreciate the diagram very much. I'm just not confident enough yet to tear into a bail spring unless I absolutely have too. I also DO NOT have the pliers to remove the retainer ring (wish I even knew what to get)?  I just bought my first metric sockets last night and I still need a better set of screwdrivers. Here are some tear down shots. The grease was hard! I used dental tools, Q-tips and nylon brushes for the worst of it.
I learned the hard way.  A couple of times l took out bail springs that were functioning properly and broke them on reassembly.  It doesn't happen often.

That is a very sharp reel.  I never recall seeing one in my neck-of-the-woods.  Doesn't appear that the Simple Green affected the paint.

dpabrams

I don't remember the series either. There were 2499, 2401, 2411 and 2441 I think. All in the same color scheme. Very well constructed. I didn't know they were a thing even back in the day when I had new 2400's and 2200's. Since picking up this hobby I found them on eBay.

Silvers

Quote from: Midway Tommy on June 18, 2019, 06:29:00 PM
Nice find! Those are from the mid '70s, tough to find and fairly collectible. They also came in a European version that is green with a silver spool.

You mean this?

The green Ambidex Super was the normal version for all countrys except the states.
For the 2411 there was a special match spool avaiable, which is very rare now.
The red ones with gold spool was only sold in the states and most of them are in heaven, which increase demand from european shakespeare collectors for good ones.