alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial 2499 Gold!
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
November 21, 2019, 05:32:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2499 Gold!  (Read 1044 times)
dpabrams

« on: June 17, 2019, 06:34:09 PM »

This little beauty came up on eBay and I instantly paid the $69.98 " Buy it Now" with free shipping. I would say it's in near mint condition and I got lucky as I think it could have gone for twice that in an auction. I believe this series was sandwiched between the 2400 and 2200 series but I am not for sure. I have no recollection of ever seeing these reels when I was into the 2400 and 2200 back in the early-mid-eighties. It was stuck nearly shut with grease that had hardened and turned to hard wax. Disassembly begin tonight and into the ultra-sonic cleaner. I am using Simple Green for the first time. I will only go partial as the bail and rotor are good to go.
Crow

Dauphin Island Sunset

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2019, 04:26:52 AM »

Looks like you got a nice one !

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !
mo65
The Freshwater Kid...Chillicothe, Ohio
Sensei

"This ship is filthy Mr. Christian!"

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2019, 05:25:00 AM »

Sweet reel! Cool

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

foakes

Sierra National Forest

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2019, 06:02:33 AM »

Nice little ultralight, dpabrams!

Be careful of the Simple Green on the painted surfaces — if kept too long in the US Cleaner.  It could dull the paint, labels, or adhesive badging a bit.

HD Dawn dish soap in warm water is a good cleaner on these.

SG should be OK for about 5 minutes in the US cleaner — just to loosen the hardened grease crud — but only after removing as much of the hardened grease as possible with Q-tips and popsicle sticks.

On the rotor — it may seem to work well now — but these are simple to disassemble (not too many parts) — so I would recommend a full disassembly, cleaning, and light syn oil lubing.

From my experience, the times that I have tried to get by without doing a complete job on a reel — are just a constant concern.

If you do the job properly 100% — the 10% that wasn’t done...never becomes an issue.

The main issue in my opinion — on these excellent spinners that parts are no longer available for — is to make them 110% properly operational — then I don’t have to look for a donor parts reel down the road.

Nice purchase!

Best,

Fred

* F3712524-E19C-40C7-BC28-6138AE6B348E.png (717.23 KB, 1536x2048 - viewed 31 times.)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 06:04:53 AM by foakes » Logged

Patience...and the rewards that come with it -- need to be experienced...otherwise, it isn't patience!

What's the difference between a worthwhile plan and a vision?

Your good, worthwhile  plan will always keep changing...However, a good vision will always remain constant and unchanging...
Midway Tommy
Tom

Smack dab in the middle of USA - Eastern Nebraska

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2019, 10:29:00 AM »

Nice find! Those are from the mid '70s, tough to find and fairly collectible. They also came in a European version that is green with a silver spool.

Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)
dpabrams

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2019, 03:58:09 PM »

Thanks for the tips. I may have used the Simple Green too long but I didn't get burned this time but I will be more careful next time. I appreciate the diagram very much. I'm just not confident enough yet to tear into a bail spring unless I absolutely have too. I also DO NOT have the pliers to remove the retainer ring (wish I even knew what to get)?  I just bought my first metric sockets last night and I still need a better set of screwdrivers. Here are some tear down shots. The grease was hard! I used dental tools, Q-tips and nylon brushes for the worst of it.

festus
Photo Group

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2019, 04:42:05 PM »

Thanks for the tips. I may have used the Simple Green too long but I didn't get burned this time but I will be more careful next time. I appreciate the diagram very much. I'm just not confident enough yet to tear into a bail spring unless I absolutely have too. I also DO NOT have the pliers to remove the retainer ring (wish I even knew what to get)?  I just bought my first metric sockets last night and I still need a better set of screwdrivers. Here are some tear down shots. The grease was hard! I used dental tools, Q-tips and nylon brushes for the worst of it.
I learned the hard way.  A couple of times l took out bail springs that were functioning properly and broke them on reassembly.  It doesn't happen often.

That is a very sharp reel.  I never recall seeing one in my neck-of-the-woods.  Doesn't appear that the Simple Green affected the paint.
dpabrams

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2019, 05:17:28 PM »

I don't remember the series either. There were 2499, 2401, 2411 and 2441 I think. All in the same color scheme. Very well constructed. I didn't know they were a thing even back in the day when I had new 2400's and 2200's. Since picking up this hobby I found them on eBay.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: