I need some info on a couple of reels

Started by Darkhorse, June 19, 2019, 06:06:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darkhorse

I'll start with the Daiwa as it's the oldest. In the early 80's I was fishing King Mackeral tournaments off the NE Coast of Florida. My main setup was with conventional reels but I like to keep a spinning reel ready in case a cobia or dolphin made an appearance. So I bought a Daiwa 9000C, the silver reel, and a new graphite 7' medium action rod from Daiwa also. I still have this combo. I spooled the reel with 20 lb. mono. This setup accounted for a number of large cobia and 2 sailfish when a live bait was cast in front of the fish.
I consider the actual use to be "light", most of it's fishing life it rode in a rod holder in the salt spray. Most of the rash was caused by years of just handling and getting knocked about. The reel works as good as it did when new (almost). The reel is spooled with old 20 lb. Stren mono. The reel needs a good cleaning and oiling but everything works.

The second reel is a Shimano Triton Baitrunner 6500 along with a matching Triton 7' graphite rod. I bought this reel just before a big tournament which turned out to be our last due to health. This rod and reel was fished 3 days on the boat and once on the beach. The outside looks almost new as it's spent it's life in a reel case. Everything works perfect and I'm considering putting it back to use. Or selling it.

A sad fishermans story goes with the Baitrunner. I took delivery of the reel and rod just a couple of days before the Tournament, The greater Jacksonville Kingfish Tournament to be exact. I went to spool it with the only Brand I used at the time, Stren 20 lb clear blue which I bought by the 2400 yd. spool but the spool was empty. The only line I could find locally was a 500 yard spool of another brand. I didn't like the line but it was touted as premium. So on it went. To shorten the story I trolled with a frozen chumbag of my secret recipe. Laugh but it worked. Today the Baitrunner had the duty of keeping a live pogy about 30 yards back right in the chumline. I reeled it in to change the bait and let the fresh bait swim at the same spot. I closed the bail and turned around and the reel started screaming, the rod bent nearly double. We fished a light drag and the fight took a long time but finally I brought the king to the boatside, it was huge. I had seen big kings. I had caught big kings to nearly 50 pounds. This one was bigger. It was the widest king I have ever seen and it looked like it had moss growing on it's back. Then just as I brought it to the gaff it flicked that big tail and broke the line at the ball bearing swivel and sunk out of sight......I was sick. It took a while before I tied on another swivel, I checked the knot and the line felt rough. I tied it again, same results. No matter how much I wet the knot it would not pull down slick. The line was crap.
Of course part of the problem was me. I had fiddled with the fighting drag but had no time to really get used to it and when the time came I forgot about it. And as close as the fish was I needed it. Now for the crying time, we all agreed that fish was well over 50 pounds. A 41 pounder won. First prize was $40,000. a life changing amount. That was back in the 80's and it still makes me sick.

What I need to know about both reels is;
What is the maximum drag on each reel? I've looked on the net with no luck and the original manuals are long lost.
What is the line capacity on the Daiwa? I think it holds around 350 yards mono but I'm not sure. The Shimano holds 270 yards of 20 lb. mono. Presently it's spooled with 300 yards of 40 lb. Ghost Suffix braid which has never been wet.
And finally; What is the value of each rod and reel combo?
And what is the opinion of users of these reels as to fishability?

Darkhorse

51 views and not a single reply. I know I'm the new kid here so please help me out. Did I post this in the wrong forurm?
Where should I have posted it?
Just trying to get some iformation about those  2.
Especially the Shimano but the Daiwa would be nice as it's something I need to know.

Ron

Midway Tommy

I'd try to help but I'm not into the Asian made reel market. In other words, I know diddly squat about either reel you are asking about. I doubt they measured drag back in those days like they do today. I don't do salt water but I'd never heard of measuring drag on spinning reels until I started participating here. Most people I knew that used spinners, fresh water guys, used them to play the fish with their chosen weight rod and set the drag a little below their line break point and just had fun.

A simple google search brings up these specs, and it's on the spool:
Daiwa 9000C
Line Capacity: 330 yards of 20 pound test line
275 yards of 25 pound test line
225 yards of 30 pound test line
175 yards of 40 pound test line
Gear Ratio: 3.3 to 1

Go to eBay and search sold listings if you want to find an approximate value'
Daiwa 9000C
Shimano Triton Baitrunner 6500

You can do similar searches regarding your rods.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Gfish

I had a Shimano Baitrunner 6500 B. It was a while back but I don't remember " Triton" as part of the name, so I don't know if it's earlier or latter version than yours? I started testing the drag one day and noticed that at about 5-8 lbs. the stem was flexing---it was made of graphite composite! That was enough for me, I sold it. Your Baitrunner looks like it could be the same-? If your Diawa has an aluminium or metal body it could be the better reel, IMO.
Sorry but I don't know the values, but taking a 2nd look at both, I'd wanna fish the Diawa, esp. if it's '70's-early 80's vintage.
I'll bet Stripersonline has info. on both these reels.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

sharkman

Maybe I can help a little since I buy sell and trade a lot of reels. The values I give are based of southern Florida. Location means a lot. Combos usually sell easier when yard selling but go for less. The silvers you can usually pick up anywhere from 10-40 dollars depending on the condition, right now on LetGo there is a 2500C in mint condition with box and accessories for 20 dollars. The baitrunners on the other hand almost have a cult following, depending on condition they can reach 60-80 dollars. As far as what type of fishing with those sizes you could go after redfish, snook, grunts, snapper. Hope this helps.