Upgrading Spinning Reel Parts, Is Worth It?

Started by Bohdisattva, June 19, 2019, 01:49:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bohdisattva

Hello Fellow Reel Tinkerers-

After oiling and greasing my spinning reels, I was wondering if there would be any major benefits of upgrading their bearings or any of their internal gears that were made of plastic with better parts?

I know bait casters have resulted in major benefits with these modifications, but what about the spinners?

Thanks to all those who replied.

RowdyW

Replaceing plastic gears with metal would always be an inprovement. But where would you get replacement metal gears for a reel with plastic gears? A reel made with plastic gears must be a cheap throwaway reel.

Crow

The spinning reels I use for surf fishing while I'm in Alabama for the winter , are what I would call "C" grade reels.....Berkley Fusion 206. Wally World sold them (maybe still does?) as a combo, with a 7 foot rod for under $30......the reels came with 2 "ball bearings", and felt drag washers.  While they seem to stand up to the sand, really well...the bearings, being of the unshielded type, and made of steel....get rusted / stuck pretty quickly, even with regular servicing. So, I got some "Chinese" shielded, stainless steel bearings on e bay, and replaced the originals, as they failed (and actually added another bearing to the "crank shaft", replacing a nylon bushing). With the "shielded " bearings, the sand has an even harder job working it's way into the reel. I have replaced the felt washers with some cut from a carbontex sheet, on a couple of the reels...but, I really can't say they do any better than the felt washers, when they are greased....both do an adequate job. With the "pot metal" against "bass" gearing...there is a limit to "how much" drag, the reel will hold up to, anyway, and, in the surf, I've got room to "let 'em run", if I need to. So, Yeah, I take a "less than $30 reel (I pick them up on ebay, when I can get a bargain), add about $3 of Chinese bearings, fish it for 2-3 years, an throw it away. I think the "cost versus gain" thing creeps up on us pretty quickly....If it's a $100 reel, and better bearings, or a drag upgrade will help it out, and you can do the upgrades for $20-$30.....go for it. But,  buying a $150 reel, that already HAS those upgrades, may make more sense . As to upgrading the gearing....anything I have wouldn't be worth trying to find something made of "Better material", and probably wouldn't be possible, anyway.

Bottom line, the way I see it, If you like the "Tinkering", and servicing your own stuff....yeah, go for it, ...bearing in mind that spending a bunch (or even a little !) of $$ on the reel may be a poor alternative to just buying a better grade product, to begin with.
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

mo65

The real question isn't if it's worth it...but where to find any upgrade parts. Aside from bearings and handle knobs...there ain't much you can hop up on a spinner. If someone made bronze main gears for some of the better "pot metal" reels, they couldn't keep any on the shelf. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

foakes

If it makes sense financially — bearings and drags are about all that could take any upgrading — and that is a personal judgement call.

With the exception of Penn, and a few other reel manufacturers that produce reels in Asia because they need to — to stay competitive (code word for still in business) — of the 300-400 reel brands in Asia — all source their parts from 3 main parts manufacturers.  In some cases — identical reels will have 10 or 12 different manufacturer's labels — but they are the same parts.

And there are really no upgrade parts for most, if any, of these.

When a I get them in for repair — unfortunately, I explain that my basic lowest rates for service and repair will cost as much as a new reel from Big 5, or online.  Plus, it is a waste of my time, and not fun to work on these below average quality reels.  So they just get tossed in the bins.  After a few years, I just give them away — or take them to the dump.

For a few more bucks — either a solid quality reel — or a 20-40 year old excellent quality spinning reel is the way to proceed, IMO.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Ron Jones

One other area that I have had success with is anti-reverse dogs. I have used the cheapest of reels in the surf at times. Often, the anti reverse, almost always a very soft piece of pot metal, gets banged out of shape and turns knuckle buster or allows excessive slop. A hacksaw and a file on a piece of almost any metal easily makes a significant improvement in the functionality of the reel.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

thorhammer

Quote from: Ron Jones on June 19, 2019, 04:23:47 PM
One other area that I have had success with is anti-reverse dogs. I have used the cheapest of reels in the surf at times. Often, the anti reverse, almost always a very soft piece of pot metal, gets banged out of shape and turns knuckle buster or allows excessive slop. A hacksaw and a file on a piece of almost any metal easily makes a significant improvement in the functionality of the reel.
The Man

The best upgrade for Ron is switching his handles to the correct (left) side of the reel :)

bhale1

Bryan Young

I've upgrades some older Penn's and Daiwa reels that used bushings with bearings and what a difference. It felt like a new reel. These were well fished and also well taken care of reels with high sentimental value. The fisherman wanted to fish these reels so upgrading them was important. And if it lasted that long, they figured it will last even longer with the upgrades.  But newer cheap reels, I just advise them to buy new reels.  They are cheap enough.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

DougK

Quote from: foakes on June 19, 2019, 03:48:25 PM
With the exception of Penn, and a few other reel manufacturers that produce reels in Asia because they need to — to stay competitive (code word for still in business) — of the 300-400 reel brands in Asia — all source their parts from 3 main parts manufacturers.  In some cases — identical reels will have 10 or 12 different manufacturer's labels — but they are the same parts.

For a few more bucks — either a solid quality reel — or a 20-40 year old excellent quality spinning reel is the way to proceed, IMO.

Just so.

A couple of years back I bought a new Abu Cardinal small spinning reel, because I always wanted one back in the 70s when I couldn't afford them: and a big Daiwa salt spinning reel for a Mexico trip. Imagine my surprise to find both reels had an identical flaw in the bail design.. a tear down of both showed the same design throughout.

so now I just get vintage reels, better built and not so boring.

Interestingly most fly rods are made in Korea too,
https://www.yellowstoneangler.com/gear-review/2019-4-weight-shootout

"Many of the best rods are built in one factory in Korea.  Of these rods built in Korea, the Hardy rods are designed in England, the Douglas rods are designed here in the U.S., the Loop rods are designed in Sweden.  "

So now I just buy old glass and cane rods ;-)

I've had a Mitchell 308 since 1975, wore out two bail springs, and upgraded from the old fixed tungsten carbide line guide to the new roller style. That's the only upgrade I've attempted or needed..

Ceramic bearings instead of bushings in an old Lews baitcaster, improved it considerably. But there isn't any replaceable bushing in most spinning reels..

happyhooker

Interesting, DougK (and welcome to the site).

Frank

Three se7ens

Generally, Id stay away from trying to upgrade much on any spinning reel.  The past few years have seen HUGE improvements in the real quality of mid level spinning reels.  Shimano, Daiwa, and to some extent Penn are all offering high quality main gears in most of their reels above roughly $100. 

I wouldnt spend any money trying to upgrade a spinning reel with a cast zinc main gear.  They are made to be disposable, and will never hold up under any real kind of use.  Some of the older penn spinners may be worth upgrading, but youll want to do your research and be sure you end up with a brass main gear model.