Penn 6/0 narrow line capacity?

Started by SevenYearsDown, June 19, 2019, 04:20:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SevenYearsDown

How much 100lb braid (fins prt, stated as same diameter as 17lb mono) can i fit in a narrow penn 6/0? Got a deal on bulk spools and I want to plan how to spool these with minimal waste. Thank you.

thorhammer

Narrow, like a Newell kit, or XN Tib kit?

A crap load, is how much, either way. Even an XN I would expect to hold 500-600 yds of 17lb diameter line- a standard Jigmaster will hold close to 500 yds of that. If it were mine I'd put on a 3- or 5- hundred yard spool of braid and top with 80 or 100 pound top shot. It all depends what you wish to do with the reel- I do my 6/0's and 9/0's the same here.

I don't have an XN kit but someone will be along that has spooled one.

John

SevenYearsDown

These are the regular narrow tiburon, not the XN that is a lot. Perfect because the bulk spools I got are 500yds.

thorhammer

I'm not a knot wiz, and keep meaning to sit down and learn bimini and wind-on splicing. I use a surgeon's loop to double braid, then double uni to 80 lb mono. Above 80 lb, mono / fluoro is springy trying to cinch down to skinny braid. I will imagine you could get that 500yds on, then a good 150yds of 80 on top. I don't wind any longer than that anyway, lol :)

Let us know what you end up with.