Fishing Los Cabos June 12-14 and 15, 2019

Started by Dominick, June 19, 2019, 11:19:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominick

Wednesday June 12, 2019.  My buddy Joe and I fished with Ricardo Aripez, a captain we enjoy and who is a hard working fisherman.  The day was hot and windy.  The weather changed to windy and cool.  We targeted rooster fish and the first hit was a dorado.  This was the only fish we caught fishing for a total of 7 hours.
Thursday was our day to relax and planned to fish on Friday.  The wind blew all day Thursday.  The wind was coming from the SSW and that brought in cold green water from the Pacific Ocean up into the Sea of Cortez.  Friday we went out of the harbor and made the turn to the northeast into heavy wind waves and swell.  The captain suggested that we not fish that day as the conditions were too bad.  We agreed and turned around and went back to the hotel.

Saturday was only slightly windy with the wind coming and going.  We decided to target Dorado so we slow trolled cabillito.  This proved to be a mistake because the tackle we were using was a soft boat rod with Shimano TLD which as luck would have it we got a hit on that rod.  It turned out to be a tuna which Joe fought for 45 minutes before he handed off the rod to me.  I was on the fish for about 20 minutes but I could not bring it up.  The fish either was taking line or the line would stay static when reeling as I moved the rod tip down.  The fish finally got into the death spiral but I was too tired and handed the rod off to Ricardo.  Ricardo is a big guy and it took him about another 20 minutes to bring the fish to the gaff.  Here is a picture of the fish which we estimate to be about 60 lbs. 

Sunday was tournament day at the marina.  We entered the tournament but only caught one bonita for the day.  Total 3 days fishing-3 fish caught.  Oh well that's fishing.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Benni3

Nice fish,,,, ;) Nice gear,,,,,, :D and that looks like a very nice place to be,,,,,,,,, ;D

David Hall

40 minutes on a Tuna is more than enough fishing for a day,  I think!

Tightlines667

Nice to see you managed to get out fishing and a few fish is always better than getting skunked.  It's always tough to predict the weather and bite when planning an offshore trip.  Still a beautiful location to spend some time both on and off of the water. 

A 60lb yellowfin on lighter gear will give you a better appreciation of the fish's power.  Should make for some good eats too.

Thanks for sharing the report!

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Alto Mare

You guys look good! great job...as usual!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

foakes

Good report, Dominick —

Thanks for bringing us along!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

SoCalAngler

Dom,

Where is the Tank when you need it? I bet you guys would of handled that fish no problem with it.

Anyway thanks for the report.

Keep up the good work.

Dominick

Quote from: SoCalAngler on June 20, 2019, 09:40:03 PM
Dom,

Where is the Tank when you need it? I bet you guys would of handled that fish no problem with it.

Anyway thanks for the report.

Keep up the good work.
The Tank was on a tuna rod on the other side of the boat.  Always seems to happen.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Donnyboat

Thanks for taking us along Dominic, nice fish, nice photos, cant believe how good looking your brother is, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

conchydong

Any trip is a good one and you did get some good eats. The Good Lord gives us what we need.  Thanks for the report and let the good times roll.

Scott

oc1

How could life get any better than that?  Had to happen to someone and I'm glad it was you Dominick.
-steve

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!