red yamaha marine grease?

Started by pauly1010, June 21, 2019, 06:16:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pauly1010

I just received a cartridge of yamaha marine grease (ACC-GREAS-14-CT) and it's ruby red in color. Is this  same as the blue I've been using?

RowdyW

Does it say Marine Grease on the packaging? Any mention of salt protection?      Rudy

foakes

I am not familiar with a red color Yamaha grease — but that doesn't mean anything...

Lots of new things to learn for this child...

The big thing, regardless of color — it must be labeled Marine Grease — that means it is not only a decent grease, but salt water repellent also.

I get mine from a local boat dealer, over the counter — around $8 - $9 for 14 oz..

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

pauly1010

yup, just like the pic and red inside,  wonder if Lucas is their new oem manufacturer.

RowdyW

It's going to be difficult in the future when you open someones reel with red grease in it to guess what it might be. Almost all main grease producers have a type of red grease. At least the Yamaha blue was a unique shade of blue. I love my Penn Blue!

Alto Mare

You could make your own color Rudy

https://novaspecialties.com/dyeproducts/novalube-dyes/

All grease have color added to them, well except the natural grease.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

RowdyW

Sal, how do you make red grease blue?  ;D   When I worked in heavy equipment we used to dye our hydralic oil with a red dye so everybody knew which oil was in the smaller containers that were stored for use in the field. 

Alto Mare

Quote from: RowdyW on June 21, 2019, 09:45:38 PM
Sal, how do you make red grease blue?  ;D   When I worked in heavy equipment we used to dye our hydralic oil with a red dye so everybody knew which oil was in the smaller containers that were stored for use in the field. 
:)...the point I was tying to make is no to judge a book by its cover, dye is just a dye.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

George6308

Regardless of its color is there a standard  SAE class for grease? I know the Muscle grease I have is a type II.

RowdyW

I believe type ll, & NO. 2 is the spec for chassis grease.

oc1

Grease is so mysterious.  

Does it have calcium soap or lithium soap?

See what I mean?  I don't know what calcium and lithium soap are either but read that somewhere.  
-steve

RowdyW

Soap has a high percentage of rendered fat in it.  ;D

farnorthlbg

They may have changed the dye colour not manufacturer (?). Generally theses dyes are just oil-soluble azo dyes.

Yamalube is a lithium complex soap based grease with a hydrocarbon based lubricant (mineral oil).  It contains the usual corrosion inhibitors, tackifiers and anti-wear additives.

Pretty generic stuff really, but it works

oc1

Quote from: RowdyW on June 21, 2019, 11:46:45 PM
Soap has a high percentage of rendered fat in it.  ;D
When they come out with a reel grease that smells like bacon I'll be all over it.
-steve

TheReelShop

Quote from: foakes on June 21, 2019, 07:08:37 PM
I am not familiar with a red color Yamaha grease — but that doesn't mean anything...

Lots of new things to learn for this child...

The big thing, regardless of color — it must be labeled Marine Grease — that means it is not only a decent grease, but salt water repellent also.

I get mine from a local boat dealer, over the counter — around $8 - $9 for 14 oz..

Best,

Fred

Fred you get your grease from here?