experimenting with my lathe

Started by Alto Mare, June 21, 2019, 11:11:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

I ordered a piece of 1.25"  304 ss rod, I wanted to see if the new lathe was up to the task.
This is all new to me, I got the speed part pretty well figured out for most of what I do, but the cutting tools are still hard to figure out.
My wood lathe needs to have the belt moved around to different pullies to get to the preferred speed.
This one is equipped with a knob for speed control...very nice feature.
I tried to make a hard to find top-hat for the 6/0, I also like to use the same on the 9/0's
I found that turning stainless steel is very hard, but as you could see, it can be done:

And my custom ss top-hat next to penn stock top-hat

mine is a little taller and doesn't need the extra metal washers, it is also a little beefier.
It has been tested and works very nice.

I will be making just a couple for my personal reels, if I cut down on time, I might offer these at my cost, but not promising anything.
At the moment it's taking me way too long to make one, but than again... I'm not a machinist.

Best,

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

swill88

Crow

Good job !  I've always wanted a small metal lathe...but make do with the wood lathe, and drill press
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

oc1

It's really beautiful Sal.  That's a huge chunk of stainless you have to play with. 

I read that some types of stainless are easier to machine but there must be trade-offs there too.
-steve

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

mhc

Looking good Sal, I can't wait to see what you make next now the shackles are off!

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Tiddlerbasher

I believe you are now hooked Sal ;) For stainless cutting tools carbide or Co HSS. Slow speed and heavy on the pressure. There are various cutting fluids out there - I have even used rapeseed oil (canola).

oldmanjoe

;D  You had to try with the hardest steel to work ,rite out of the gate !
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Alto Mare

Quote from: oldmanjoe on June 22, 2019, 12:50:05 PM
;D  You had to try with the hardest steel to work ,rite out of the gate !
😁...No Joe, been practicing with aluminum and brass for a couple of months, but just to trying to figure out the best insert for the cutting
Brass and aluminum come out like glass, no tool marking at all
Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on June 22, 2019, 12:39:09 PM
I believe you are now hooked Sal ;) For stainless cutting tools carbide or Co HSS. Slow speed and heavy on the pressure. There are various cutting fluids out there - I have even used rapeseed oil (canola).
Good tip! And yes I'm finding that out. I've also found out if the tip isn't perfectly center it will snap the insert... this was also a good lesson🙂

Quote from: oc1 on June 21, 2019, 11:37:07 PM
It's really beautiful Sal.  That's a huge chunk of stainless you have to play with. 

I read that some types of stainless are easier to machine but there must be trade-offs there too.
-steve

Yes Steve, 304 is easier to machine, but not by much, to me anyways.
304 might get surface rust if not maintained, but I'm thinking it should last for a very long time.

My lathe has 1hp, I'm not sure if anything lower would cut that size😏.
I guess if you take your time and have new carbide inserts it could be done.

Thanks everyone else.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

That's awesome Sal.

Still trying to figure what a top hat is and where would the top hat be installed. Maybe it's too early in the morning for me.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

RowdyW

Bryan, it's the top washer & spacer sleeve combined for outside accessable drags on early Special Senators & some Senators.      Rudy

Bryan Young

Ooh. It's definitely too early in the morning for me.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Swami805

Nice job Sal, adding another wrinkle.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

TheReelShop

That's really neat work there Sal. I like how you decided to remove a washer and add it to the top hat. Pretty good idea!

How long did it take from start to finish?

David Hall

Another nice hobby to add to your repitoire.