experimenting with my lathe

Started by Alto Mare, June 21, 2019, 11:11:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnyboat

Good work Sal, Nice & beefy, I like the idea of top hats, I have a few reels with them, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Alto Mare

Quote from: TheReelShop on June 22, 2019, 03:38:37 PM
That's really neat work there Sal. I like how you decided to remove a washer and add it to the top hat. Pretty good idea!

How long did it take from start to finish?
About an hour and 15 minutes.
I did a second one and gained about 15 minutes, but then my wife called me up for dinner, she usually gives me 5 minutes warning and it isn't pretty if I don't make it.
I think I rushed a little while drilling to size and screwed it up...another good lesson.

Thanks!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Captain64-200

Quote from: Alto Mare on June 23, 2019, 02:17:19 AM

... but then my wife called me up for dinner, she usually gives me 5 minutes warning and it isn't pretty if I don't make it.

;D   ::)
Fred from Biarritz ,

steelhead_killer

endless possibilities!  Nice work.

Andy
><)))">

Newell Nut

Great work Sal. Take your time and who knows what you may make next. Keep up the good work. Wish I had room to tinker with a lathe. I still have my rod lathe to play with when the garage cools down again.

Dwight

Dominick

Good luck Sal.  Watch out for Cathy's left.  She will hit you with so many lefts, you'll beg her for a right.   :D ;D  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Makule

Good work, Sal.
SS is the material I typically work with.  Not too bad once you get the right cutting bits.  While carbide will last longer, smaller machines don't usually have enough power to take advantage of their potential.  HSS generally can take a sharper edge and give a better finish, but the sharp edge doesn't last as long.  Certainly, speeds need to be lower than carbide.
Use cutting fluid whenever drilling or parting off.
Keep up the good work.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Bill B

Bravo Sal !  impressive work...Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Three se7ens

Nice job!  303 stainless machines much better than 304 and 316 stainless.  If youre looking for saltwater corrosion resistance, stick with 316 though.  The additional molybdenum in 316 specifically improves corrosion resistance in salt water.  Its also a little harder, and machines slightly better than 304. 

The tricky thing with machining stainless is that its relatively soft, but very tough.  Sharp, and wear resistant tools make all the difference.  High quality HSS is a minimum and carbide being preferred. I use both depending on the circumstances and machine. 

Alto Mare

Thanks Adam! I'm learning quite a bit as I keep using it.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Benni3

Very cool,,,,,I had to hand sand ss before to round the edges off,,,,, >:( it takes time,,,,, :D great job uncle sal,,,,,,, ;D