Graduation dinner

Started by David Hall, June 21, 2019, 11:44:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Hall

Our oldest granddaughter Izabelle (Izzy) just graduated High School a couple weeks ago, she's been occupied with working and preparing for college so she asked if I would smoke some ribs for her graduation dinner, sure no problem 2-3 racks will feed the family. Uhm well I want to invite a few friends gramps, okay my dear, how many friends?  20 or so give or take.  Okay well you can't feed that number on three racks of st Luis ribs.  Holding off for an accurate count, we now stand, the night before the event at 45 guests.  Normally for that many I'd roast a 50-70lb whole pig and be done with it.  Nope they want pork ribs, so the wife is doing the sides and I'm up to eight racks of ribs and three  tri tips.  A big pan of home made Mac and cheese, a gallon or so of baked beans.  My smoker is not big enough or all this!  So I'll jist be smoking the ribs, doing the tri tips on the grill and the sides will be prepared indoors.  This is Izzy and my wife Katherine and me at her graduation.  She's grown into a wonderful young woman works 30hrs a week as a swim instructor, goes to a local junior college and plays softball.  I hope I do her justice with the food.

David Hall

First up, the rub, keeping it simple.  Brown sugar, paprika, fresh ground pepper, granulated onion, granulated garlic, ceyenne powder. I think that's it this time? 
And the star of the show, 8 racks of St.Louis cut ribs.  Time to get to work trimming and removing the membrane, rubbing up and covered for the night.

David Hall

And here is where our guests will be seated for dinner!  The remains of last years garden some mint that's gone out of control and my favorite jalapeño Bush.  Going to transplant the jalapeño this evening once it cools down a bit. And begin the transformation.

Crow

Congrats on the graduation !.........and the cooking !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Alto Mare

Congratulations to Izabelle!...she knows what she's doing, she requested the master chef :)

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

bhale1

.....and he even trimmed up the beard for graduation....
That's a lot of people to feed, but you will pull it off!!! 😊
Brett

David Hall

If it weren't for the short notice I might have tried to fly Chilli out here to handle this part.  But I will middle my way through somehow.  I'm half way through prepping the ribs now!

bhale1

LOL.....I almost said you need to enlist his help, but didn't want to offend you😁
Like I said you got this...👍
Brett

David Hall

And all rubbed up and ready to rest overnight.

Shark Hunter

Go David Go!
It is all about the grandkids now.
I feel you brother, I'm sure you will do well. ;)
I keep it simple, If I am grillin', It is going to be steak.
Ribeye's or strips with Baked Potato's and crab legs.
That is how I Roll.
Life is Good!

Bryan Young

Proud Grandpa will do anything for their grandkids.  The meal is looking like a great start.

Wishing Izzy great success!!!

Congratulations Izzy!

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

broadway

Be proud, grandpa.  Must be beautiful thing to see your grand daughter as a little peanut 18 years ago and to now see the smart and successful woman she has become.
Enjoy your family and that lovely looking meat.
Warm regards,
Dom

David Hall

Thanks to all for the kind words of encouragement.  Yes I couldn't be more proud of my grandchildren.  So here goes. The smoker is getting up to temp 225, and the ribs are rolled up because that's the only way they fit in my little smoker.  The yards coming along.  More pics to follow.

David Hall

In they go

David Hall

And out of the smoker, yard set up, into the oven to steam, finish on the grill, tri tips, Mac and cheese. The beans were delicious but not one of the teenagers tried them?  So much food and before I could get a pick of the money shot, the food disappeared? My daughter snapped a couple pics and sent them to me but this party got out of hand.