Diy line remover?

Started by SevenYearsDown, June 22, 2019, 01:48:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SevenYearsDown

I have 5 reels with about 600yds of braid that I want to transfer. Does anyone have a guide on how to make a simple jig yo connect yo a drill so I can strip the line fast? There used to be the Swifty line remover but I don't think it's sold anymore or anything similar.

RowdyW

I use an old empty spool with a piece of threaded rod in a hand drill to remove the line. To put in on the reel clamp it in a vise or have somebody hold both ends of the threaded rod. The swift line remover gets the line off but then you have to seperate the two cones & trash the line. It's available on ebay.       Rudy

Gfish

I do the same, but use a drill bit with tape on it sos the spool fits tight.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

oldmanjoe

I use a empty spool if i am to trash the line .
 But if i am going to flip the line end for end , than i use my reel to reel .  
 I can also remove two dowels on the reel to remove the line if need be .
 One turn equals  one yard , so i can measure also.
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Tiddlerbasher

The Berkley line remover is available on Amazon. I use a similar (cheaper) version off of fleabay.

SevenYearsDown

I did the most basic idea, went to home depot and got some washers and wing nuts and a threaded rod. Stripped it pretty fast.

SevenYearsDown

CapeFish

Same here, cordless drill with threaded rod. I have used a pipe that I fitted a reel seat to and clamp in my vice and zing it off in no time. Fitted to the pipe is another holder with centering bushes that I can clamp a line spool to to fill up the reel.  It has a line meter also. When I get a new reel and I am going to do a mono top shot with braid backing I usually spool it 1st with 200m mono of the breaking strain I will always use then to the max with braid and reverse it over twice on empty spools so the mono ends on top! Bit of a process but then using a 600m spool of mono I get 3x fills out of it. So if the mono gets rough I just strip it off and fill up. This way there are no knots in the mono and my reel is always full, plus it is economical.

oc1

Quote from: oldmanjoe on June 22, 2019, 12:42:50 PM
Really nice set-up you made there Joe.
-steve

SevenYearsDown

Any recommendations for a decent t line counter?

oldmanjoe

Quote from: oc1 on June 22, 2019, 07:47:42 PM
Quote from: oldmanjoe on June 22, 2019, 12:42:50 PM
Really nice set-up you made there Joe.
-steve
Thank you Steve    I made another one with a little more timber look to it ,with a line counter .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Tiddlerbasher

For a line counter I used one of these (in a modified form)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001JJR356/ref=pe_385721_37038051_TE_dp_2

I built one into my line spooler:

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=11452.0

It is surprisingly accurate! I'm not even convinced it needs to be particularly accurate ;D

Alto Mare

Joe, that looks very nice!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

oc1

For a counter I use a plastic rim from kiddy bike.  It's mounted on the side of a bench.  With the tire removed the rim has a cupped area around the circumference.  49.5 inches per revolution and I count revolutions as it is turned with a knob.  Big enough and accurate enough for my needs.