The Classic Collectibles of Tomorrow

Started by nelz, June 23, 2019, 04:22:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nelz

What will they be? How many times do we find ourselves thinking, "if only I'd known, I'd have bought a case of those reels!"

While not that old, I now wish I had bought an Abu Garcia Suveran when they were in the stores . The truth is, I hated what I saw as big goofy-looking rubber wheels on those reels and never got past that. Oh well, who knew.  ::)

So I wonder which of today's reels will turn out to be the rare or highly valued finds that everyone wants tomorrow?

1badf350

-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

oc1

Maybe ProGear too?  Anything with a Tiburon frame?  The stuff made by small American companies that are not swallowed up by conglomerates.

God I hated the green Curado 50 and Ambassadeur 1500 when they came out.  Wish I had a case of each now.
-steve

Swami805

Wish I had bought some shimano trinidad DC's, even a beater goes for x2 what they cost.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

nelz

Quote from: 1badf350 on June 23, 2019, 05:13:33 AMTruth reels probably will be.

Well Chris, if you're half as good at predicting collectibles as you are at acquiring them, I'd better start looking for one!

Yeah Steve, those smaller size Abu's are gold now.

1badf350

Actually I would say Truth and Release reels would be collectible because the poor guy got sued twice at startup over the names.  This makes them limited in the number is produced.
Here is the story
https://www.localscoopmagazine.com/discover/the-reel-deal-seigler-reels/
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Crow

Thanks for the link , very interesting !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

foakes

Seems like one area to look at for future "collectible reels" might be —

Quality brands with solid construction — in the smallest sizes manufactured.

For example, see what the tiny Penn spinners, Mitchell, DQ, Abu/Zebco Cardinal 3, Daiwa etc..are selling for.

For baitcasters or conventionals — any quality brands that are slated for discontinuation — particularly smaller versions of larger big brothers, or narrow versions.

For example, see what old and small Swedish narrow ABU's are selling for.  Or Shimano TLD5's.

I would mostly (but not always) skip graphite, plastic, or any reels with decals or tape adhesive labels.

Just got to keep eyes and ears open — and your web of reliable sources.

For me, there are (2) things to always remember — I can't pay too much for a quality reel — or too little for a poor quality reel.

For those of you who might recall the old original Ford Broncos —

If, when they were going to be discontinued in 1977, after an 11 year run — someone would have bought (100) at $7000 each, stored them properly on blocks in a warehouse — their initial $700,000 investment would be worth in the neighborhood of $10M, today.  If marketed carefully & properly — maybe double that...

But, I am seldom as smart looking ahead — as I am at Monday morning quarterbacking...

IMO.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Maxed Out

Sounds good Fred except storage fees for 100 Ford Broncos for 40+ years would leave you in the poor house

.....now if you invested 700 grand in Microsoft in 1977, you'd be a multi billionaire !!
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Donnyboat

Correct, but you could build a good house for 10 million. cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

jurelometer

According to one of the online calculators, if you invested $700K USD in the S&P 500 stock index in  Jan 1977,  with dividend  reinvestment,  you would have about $59.6 million now.

-J

Benni3

Back in the late 80's and early 90's people here would buy a brand new Corvette,,,,Camaro or mustang and garage it,,,,, :D 20 years later they would decide to sell it for a $15,000 lost,,,,, :-[ so I just wonder how many chariton and bogdan reels are in stock drawers,,,,,,, ;D

fishgrain

One reason people collect / or pursue hobbies is because they have a personal connection of some kind, for one reason or another, which can vary widely from person to person.

Often times rooted in something significant from childhood that shaped who we became as an adult.

It's a feeling or an emotion that taps into a fond memory from the past.

Scarcity and how easily something can be substituted for also are factors.

cdaline

Wouldn't it be smart to fill the parts bins with the aforementioned reel parts ?

Charles

Gfish

Checked used Shimano Baitrunners from the 80's the other day on da' Bay. They're selling from as low as $50 to around $150. 1-NIB was goin for $230, the mode seemed to be around $90. Darn!, I sold my 6500 B for $5 as a parts reel.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!