The Classic Collectibles of Tomorrow

Started by nelz, June 23, 2019, 04:22:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penn Chronology

Forecasting what will be a future collectible is a crap shoot based on personal opinion. If you would have bought a 1982 Corvette and garaged it, until today, you would not have made that killer investment. But, if you would have bought a 1953 Corvette and saved it, the story would have a very different ending.

So, I have a prediction for my favorite fishing reel brand. A reel that I believe is a collectible of the future. It is a 1985 reel with a very limited interest now, but, I believe that will change as time goes by................ And here's it is:::::::::::::::::::::::

Benni3

Very good choice,,,, ;) but now that you said that they just trebled in price,,,hehe,,,,, ;D

Brewcrafter

To Charles point about stocking up on parts...And I say this with the deepest admiration and respect...I would be shocked if Fred doesn't already have a warehouse of parts for reels that don't exist yet!   BUT...to actually see the reels that Fred brings back into service - everyone that owns vintage stuff owe him and ALL of the other "parts sources" on this forum a serious debt of gratitude that they not only pick up and catalogue stuff that they may or may not be able to sell, but nobody is being ridiculous$$$ about "unobtanium" parts - love the Ohana on this site!!!!

foakes

There are a lot of good parts suppliers on here —

I keep all of the parts for various quality manufacturers fairly organized and hopefully intact in case of an earthquake — although they are rare up here in the Sierras.

Here is just a few locations of parts for old Penn Spinners.  Greenie Spinfishers, blacks, SS's, and others.  

There are maybe 40 times this amount of parts for Penn conventionals, Garcia, Mitchell, DAM Quick, and a bunch of others.

Everything is fairly organized and accessible for the major...good, old quality brands.

Seems stupid to stock, save, and store parts that I may have had for 20 years — and only sell or give away maybe one or two a week...but that is OK, I enjoy helping folks when possible with tough parts.  And, At least I know where to find a part for the reels I work on for folks.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

AC49

Quote from: Penn Chronology on July 08, 2019, 02:39:15 AM
Forecasting what will be a future collectible is a crap shoot based on personal opinion.

Quite correct Mike so I'll wade in here with my crap shoot  ;)

AC49

I believe that "Made in U.S.A" Penn reels that have not appeared in any of their catalogs or listings will always have a place in the collectibles of tomorrow and the future.
I don't believe Penn will ever go back to re-write catalogs from the 1940's & 1950's to include them .....

How many different models do you know of that fit into this category ?

I know of 2 models ...
One was identified on the reel box only, the 500A Jigmaster
The other was identified firstly on the reel only and not the box, later on the box only and not the reel, the 49A Super Mariner.
Both exclusively for the South African (A for Africa) market.

Regards
AC49

smnaguwa

Wow Gfish, you must be a scientist! Haven't heard "mode" used since my statistic class.

CapeFish

I never realised the 500A was also only available in South Africa, I had a few of them, now they are collectors items, wow thanks for the info AC49. Lately in pawn shops I am only seeing the narrow 49s not the 49a

Aiala

Or bought a bunch of vintage Colt Pythons before they were discontinued and that Walking Zombie show drove prices into the idiosphere.   ::)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Ron Jones

I'm thinking of much newer models. 40 years from now, people will be trying to assemble NOS sets of the first Torques and Raptors.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

mo65

Quote from: Aiala on July 08, 2019, 03:58:20 PM
Or bought a bunch of vintage Colt Pythons before they were discontinued and that Walking Zombie show drove prices into the idiosphere.   ::)

~A~

Ain't that the truth! Rick Grimes packs a Python and the prices go off the charts...I should have bought a few when he drew that piece in the pilot episode!! :D
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

RowdyW

It's just like when Clint Eastwood started packing an 8 inch model 29. All of a sudden they were on backorder & demanding super premium prices. Who's Rick Grimes? Are there really any zombies?  ;D ;D

Benni3

Nothing over night,,,,, :D but maybe reels from penn custom shop?,,,,,,,, ;D

nelz

Quote from: Ron Jones on July 08, 2019, 04:25:33 PMI'm thinking of much newer models. 40 years from now, people will be trying to assemble NOS sets of the first Torques and Raptors.

I was thinking first gen Torques too. Holdin' on to my 100, too nice to sell anyway!

Gfish

Probably right about the Torque & Raptor.
Here's an Accurate "Twin Drag, Boss Xtreme, DPX2 Dawg", 600 size. The most unique thing about it to me is the triple dog system paired with an ARB.
A candidate ?
I try not to use it much and I'mina will it to my son.
They didn't seem to last too long as a model, so maybe there was an issue I'm not aware of...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!