Icy Bay Lodge trip, AK trip in 2019

Started by ksong, June 23, 2019, 12:12:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ksong

I arrived at Anchorage, AK after long 7 hours flight from NJ.
We had dinner at famous Glacier Brewhouse. The place was packed though it is not cheap.
After dinner, we went to famous ice cream shop nearby.  I couldn't believe long line waiting for ice cream in chilly weather a 10 pm.

We fly to Yakutat on Sunday morning to meet other anglers there.

Benni3

Very cool trip,,,,,and hope you get the big one,,,,, ;D

Crow

The food sure looks good !!  Good luck with the fish !!
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Gfish

Wow! That's some fancy-shmancy dinning for Alaska
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Dominick

Alaska is a cool place.  Good luck.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

ksong

We arrived at Icy Bay Lodge.

Mel brought lots of drinks as usual. :)

nice pork prepared by Chef Rick.

glacier ice

Jigs from 5 oz to 12 oz.
We normally use 6 oz - 10 oz and the reason I brought 12 oz jigs are sometimes big halibut prefer bigger jigs.

I brought light rods. The heaviest rods are 7'3" Black Hole Charter Special MH rods.
- 6'8" Black Hole Charter Special Slow Pitch jigging rods
-7'3" Black Hole Charter Special MH rods
-6'6" Black Hole Slow Pitch jigging rods
-6'3" ultra light Black Hole Tai Special rod

It is calm and we are ready to go offshore.

Crow

Got the food, got the drinks, got the equipment....now go get the fish !!
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

ksong

We had many big lingcod and yelloweye rockfish on jigs, but big halibut didn't show up for unknown reason.
Luckily I got 82 lb halibut with 5 oz Al Gag jig which is used for striper. I used 6'8" Black Hole Charter Special Slow Pitch jigging rod and IRT 600 DD reel.
Later I used the ultra light Black Hole Tai Special rod and IRT 500 DD reel for fun. 

This big ling cod is probably 50 lb as the length is 49 3/4".

The Tai Special weighs only 3.8 oz and the blank weighs 1.4 oz. This rod is probably the lightest jigging rod.

It is calm today and we plan to go offshore again.

Gfish

Great pictures! Please keep 'em commin.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Crow

ksong

This ling cod is probably about 50 lb. I think this is the biggest ling cod I got off Icy Bay Lodge. My personal best is 58 lb caught off Langara Island, BC years ago. We had three big ling cod close to 50 lb yesterday.

Gfish

"Dude!"
Yer gettin the serious big'uns. The kind that eat the smaller lings and rockfish. Do think your head would fit into that guy's mouth?
My favorite picture so far is the pretty yong lady in the Yankee's cap with the big ugly ling at her feet!

Donnyboat

Good Day great memories, nice pictures, Mr Song you had a few beers lined up @ the start, make you sing song, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Benni3

Wow,,,,,great job on those monster fish,,,,,,, ;D

ksong

Marshall had his personal best ling cod and he lost big halibut as the line was tangled with anchor line and I lost big halibut as the 40 lb line got broken. I got rid of old line and spooled with new 40 lb Jerry Brown Hollow line.
We tried hard to catch big halibut without success. On the way to the lodge, we stopped by a halibut nursery ground and I must caught about 15 halibut within one hour with Al Gag jig using ultra light Black Hole Tai Special rod and IRT 500 DD reel.
It was fun with light tackle.

Jumee broke her personal best ling cod again. it was 52" big ling cod which was released.

Marshall's personal best ling cod