Stuck Medalist

Started by richard, June 24, 2019, 04:20:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richard

I have an old  Medalist type fly reel , and the spindle is rusted into
the bush in the spool .
Iv'e been soaking it with WD40 but it has not moved.
Any ideas guys ? heat could be difficult as there are plastic bits inside .
thanks richard

wfjord

Remove the screws on the plastic cover of spool release mechanism and squirt some Corrosionx or TSI-321 down the shaft and let it sit a while, a couple days or more if necessary, repeat process.  Don't force it.  Careful if the tiny screws are tight.

foakes

Wfjord has the exact right procedure —

I generally squirt some penetrating oil into the area around the shaft.

Let it work overnight.

There are plenty of PO's out there — I like old school Kroil — but most will work.

Show us your reel when you are done — nice old fly reels.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

richard

thanks guys ,ive removed the spool release cover and blasted WD in there .
Will report back ,but the spindle is frozen to the shaft which is twisting in the spool !
Great reels ,for some reason iv'e just purchased ten of them recently .

wfjord

It sounds like you're saying the shaft has come loose at its base in the side plate of the spool housing and is turning with the spool? If so, that's bad. Maybe you can at least use a punch and try to tap out the shaft to salvage the spool and some of the internal parts you might find a need for some day.

Fortunately you've got at least nine more of those reels.

richard

yeah , the spindle is fine , and well fixed to the reel backplate .
its the shaft /bush that is frozen to this spindle .
The spool rotates around this..with a horrible graunching sound !!!
Might have to be a spare parts job ,as you say .
Good job iv'e got more medalists coming ..... ;D

wfjord

Okay. I guess what you're referring to as the spindle is what I was referring to as the spool shaft (or the post on which the spool sleeve turns).  You still may be able to remove the spool if you use some sort of penetrating oil that will work through the corrosion better, especially if you give it enough time.  I'm not sure wd40 is the best thing for that job.

Heck, if nothing else works and it looks like a total loss, soak the whole thing in white vinegar. Vinegar will dissolve the corrosion if you can work it down the shaft.

richard

thanks for the advice wjfjrd ,will try vinegar as WD has not freed it up so far.
It looks like a basket case ATM ,but i could do with the innards as spares .cheers  ;D