1.5 day trip out of San Diego

Started by Hamachi, June 25, 2019, 05:00:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCalAngler

Ok first we are talking about the regs in Mexico and not the US.

Secondly I fully agree the US regs are hard to understand but I wasn't talking about those was I?

The US and Mex regs vary and if a US boat wants to follow US's regs while in Mexican waters that's cool. Just remember they are following US regs and not Mexico's.

SAGARPA and CONAPESCA's fishing laws are pretty easy to follow and I suggest anyone fishing in Mexico to adhere to them.

In Mexico there is no 12hr stuff on the days fishing, US yes but not Mexico.

Here is a link to the regs in Mexico from CONAPESCA so you can read them for yourself. You will need to click on the "Bag Limits" tab.

I'm really not trying to start a argument I just want to inform people that read this site.

http://www.sportfishinginmexico.com/rules/

Jim Fujitani

One is not allowed to pick and chose which limits and regs to follow.  The statutes apply to the waters fished.   

A US boat, that fishes in Mexican waters, must adhere to Mexican laws (5 yellow tail per day, not 10).  If the same Boat docks in a California port, it must comply with CDFW statutes regarding docking with Mexican sportfish catch aboard (not just BFT, but also possession regs regarding groupers, squid, lobsters, etc.).  Wardens expect total compliance with Mexican statutes, including licenses, passes, etc..  GPS tracking would help.

But if you also wet a line in US water on the way back, one must be in compliance with all CDFW statutes and regulations, as well.

SoCalAngler

Quote from: Jim Fujitani on July 03, 2019, 04:28:04 PM
One is not allowed to pick and chose which limits and regs to follow.  The statutes apply to the waters fished.    

A US boat, that fishes in Mexican waters, must adhere to Mexican laws (5 yellow tail per day, not 10).  If the same Boat docks in a California port, it must comply with CDFW statutes regarding docking with Mexican sportfish catch aboard (not just BFT, but also possession regs regarding groupers, squid, lobsters, etc.).  Wardens expect total compliance with Mexican statutes, including licenses, passes, etc..  GPS tracking would help.

But if you also wet a line in US water on the way back, one must be in compliance with all CDFW statutes and regulations, as well.

I agree with you Jim and again nice catch.

On your 1.5 day trip I'm 100% sure you were in Mexican waters and I bet in the cost of the trip was the permit to fish there built into the total. North of the Cornado islands right at Tijuana you entered Mexican waters and the boat did not return into US waters again until in the same zone north of those Islands. The BFT have not moved up this year into US waters, well not in any big enough numbers that private or sport boats are chasing them...yet. Keeping my fingers crossed here.

Also you may want to check the regs in Mexico regarding lobster because as I read the regs no non Mexican national can legally harvest them. This also applies to clams , scallops, shrimp, mussels and really all shellfish. Is it done? Maybe but it is not legal for a non Mexican citizen to do so. The lines do become blurry if you have a FM3 or Permanent Resident Status in Mexico.
My late father had the later and when it came to shellfish we chose to buy from locals than risk any BS when it came down which regs were looked at or how they were enforced.

There is a big website here in So Cal that talks about "Local Knowledge" and they film fishing around the world. In one of their "shows" they were in Mexico using cast nets to make bait. It is against the law in Mexico for non nationals to do so and they did not have one in the show. I made a comment on their website about this not being legal before the episode aired and they still showed it and made it a big part of the program. This could lead to boats being seized, jail time and much worse. Does this happen often? No, but do you want to be the one taking that chance?

So things may slip by but please don't be that guy, we all have seen them, that can ruin a good thing for others.

Like I said before if a US boat want's to follow US regs in Mexico that's fine with me. And, as you pointed out the regs do very so be aware of them.