Should I buy a Penn Senator 10/0

Started by Surf Slayer, June 26, 2019, 10:18:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crow

OK, I'll "watch my language " in the future :-[!!    ;D ;D
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Benni3

That's a great reel,,,,,, :D and your going down the rabbit hole,,,,, ;) but that's ok,,,,,,,,, ;D

Surf Slayer

Quote from: 1badf350 on June 30, 2019, 11:56:25 AM
Those green knobs are my favorite

Green is my favorite color so I have to agree ;D

Surf Slayer

Quote from: thorhammer on June 30, 2019, 12:26:57 PM
Pretty sure that's  a solid glas blank- I'd think you can run 80 nor 100 on that reel pretty easy with it. Nice reel!

Great! I am planning to spool it with 100# and was worried the rod wouldn't be able to handle it. I know the previous owner only used 80#. 

Surf Slayer

Quote from: Alto Mare on June 30, 2019, 12:29:24 PM
I'm glad you got it.
It is worth it, but not if you start replacing parts to make it pretty.
Leave it as is after a good cleaning, upgrade the drags and gear sleeve and go get yourself a trophy shark. :)

Sal

Yes, I don't plan on altering it too much. I will upgrade the drag for sure. What benefit will i get from upgrading the gear sleeve and do you think it is absolutely necessary?

Trophy shark is the goal!! The previous owner told me he landed a 9ft hammerhead on the set up he sold me. Though, I am always weary of fisher man and their fish stories. ;)

thorhammer

get a short piece of 100 lb and tie up to see how the rod flexes.

xjchad

Quote from: Crow on June 30, 2019, 12:31:01 PM
Congratulations on your purchase !! I've *dreamed* about a "big Penn", for a long time ! Can't justify one, can't afford one, don't "need" one, but I sure as heck WANT one !!!LOL !!

I'm in the same boat as you Crow!   :'(   ;D
Husband, Father, Fisherman

steelfish

Quote from: xjchad on July 01, 2019, 02:50:06 PM
Quote from: Crow on June 30, 2019, 12:31:01 PM
Congratulations on your purchase !! I've *dreamed* about a "big Penn", for a long time ! Can't justify one, can't afford one, don't "need" one, but I sure as heck WANT one !!!LOL !!

I'm in the same boat as you Crow!   :'(   ;D

LOL

I was in the same boat, I never found a justification either I couldt afford one and since I dont fish for sharks I actually didnt "needed" one but of course I wanted one, few months ago I got one 12/0 without expecting it, it was a direct trade for some rod restoration work, it needed and still needs lots of TLC to making it work tho, I already have all the parts needed to complete it and have it ready for a shark expedition trip with a nice upgraded drag stack (thanks Daron again) but I still havent had its the time to work on ti and finish it, thanks God I have many reels and rods to work and fix and I dont like to make customers wait.

The Baja Guy

Donnyboat

Hi Mr Slayer, whats your latest update on this reel  rod, have you caught anything with it yet, they are a nice manageable reel, in the senator range, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Jenx

I second that. I'm curious to hear what kind of luck you have had.

I just got into shark fishing this year. Luckily we don't need huge reels and kayaks to catch sharks out here.