fixing swim baits with a soldering iron

Started by alantani, June 27, 2019, 03:29:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

foakes

Excellent tip and video, Alan!

Thanks!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Dominick

Amazing.  Fixing something without using duct tape.  Wow!   ::)  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

jurelometer

In case you want to save your soldering iron for soldering,  the tip of an old table knife or any thin piece of steel can be heated over a flame.   Stainless works well, as it holds heat for a long time.  Plastisol  starts to gel around 150F,  and fully liquifies somewhere around 325,  and starts smoking  somewhere around 360, varying a bit by formula.   It  hardens back to the original state at room temp.  Some folks even remelt and recast old soft plastics.

The blade method works well for inserting into  a deep tear, so more of the damage is repaired.  A blade also works nicer for smoothing the surface.   In a pinch while out fishing,  you can heat a old knife with a lighter.  As mentioned above, it does not need to get very hot,  just up to gel temp.   

Be careful when handling melted areas.  Melted plastisol makes horrific napalm style burns.  And if smoke is coming off, it is too hot and the plastic is releasing toxic fumes (hydrogen chloride among others).  I would expect that a soldering iron without a temp control is running way too hot, so as Alan mentioned, you need to stay away from any fumes. 

-J

oc1

Bill B

Ive tried this with a soldering iron with varying degrees of success, I like the knife idea and will try that next....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

happyhooker

A twist on the same idea: set up the iron so it stands vertically (maybe held in a small vise); wrap a piece of metal wire, maybe 1/8" dia. or so, around the tip of the iron before you plug it in, leaving a length of the wire standing vertically; you then have two hands free to manipulate the worm/swim tail, curly tail, etc. against the hot wire.

Frank

bhale1

.......newbie question....does Super Glue work??? Thought i saw a guy using it on a party boat one time.
Brett

jurelometer

Quote from: bhale1 on June 28, 2019, 03:16:36 AM
.......newbie question....does Super Glue work??? Thought i saw a guy using it on a party boat one time.
Brett
Sort of.   Melting works better.   Some folks also use CA glue (super glue) to stick the swimbait to the jig head, so it doesn't get pulled back by a bite or by trolling.

smnaguwa

I use a line cutter. Easy to clean.

Gfish

Good one! I been foregoin plastics in favor of fur n' fearthers cause a the damage. Look out 'cudas n' snappers, here I come!
Here's my latest time-consuming, labor-intensive repair.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

MarkT

Super glue to repair plastics and get them to stay on the lead head.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!