Self lubricating gear

Started by Lunker Larry, June 25, 2019, 04:05:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lunker Larry

Getting a Okuma Catalina reel sent to me. Never did one so when I looked it up it said it has a self lubricating main gear. Can anyone explain that?
Thanks
Larry
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

nelz

I think it means it has sintered brass, so the metal actually retains oil slightly.

Lunker Larry

Looked up sintering and came across this. Thanks for the info. Interesting

Powdered bronze is poured into dies and subjected to 30 to 50 tons of pressure to form the shape and size of the desired part/material. Parts can be made to tight tolerances using dies in size sequence. The material is then heated (or sintered) in a furnace until the particles fuse - leaving the material with approximately 20 percent porosity. Hot oil is then forced into the interconnected voids.

At Dura-Bar Metal Services we offer SAE841 Sintered Bronze. It is one of the finest powder metal bearings on the market. By using a proprietary blending and sintering process this gives us a uniform grain structure and spheroidized porosity which results in superior strength, lower coefficient of friction and a uniform oil coating of the mating shaft. During operation, oil impregnated bronzes have a proven record of excellent wear resistance and long life where normal lubrication is difficult or impossible to provide.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Lunker Larry on June 26, 2019, 03:06:09 AM
Looked up sintering and came across this. Thanks for the info. Interesting

Powdered bronze is poured into dies and subjected to 30 to 50 tons of pressure to form the shape and size of the desired part/material. Parts can be made to tight tolerances using dies in size sequence. The material is then heated (or sintered) in a furnace until the particles fuse - leaving the material with approximately 20 percent porosity. Hot oil is then forced into the interconnected voids.

At Dura-Bar Metal Services we offer SAE841 Sintered Bronze. It is one of the finest powder metal bearings on the market. By using a proprietary blending and sintering process this gives us a uniform grain structure and spheroidized porosity which results in superior strength, lower coefficient of friction and a uniform oil coating of the mating shaft. During operation, oil impregnated bronzes have a proven record of excellent wear resistance and long life where normal lubrication is difficult or impossible to provide.

Originally called, and still referred to as, Oilite and developed by Chrysler in 1930. It's been used successfully in spinning reel, and other reel bearings, bushings and pinion gear supports for well over 60 years. Looks like Okuma decided to use it in a gear.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

RowdyW

Bronze also creates less friction then steel.

Tightlines667

Interesting.

I guess sintered stainless is not possible or at least practicle in its application to lubricated reel parts (such as gears)?
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.