"Rat Rod" 113H

Started by Crow, June 28, 2019, 09:49:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crow

Taking advantage of the "too hot to be outside" weather. I spent some time in the shop...in front of the fan !  A while back, I queried Sal about his procedure of making the "hardware" for his custom knobs , and he graciously told me about his procedure. (Thanks, again, Sal !) I ordered up some stainless seamless tubing (0.375 " X 0.028 " X 0.319 "), and some 0.3125 cold finished rod....both in T316 stainless. I cut the tube, so that after cleaning up, and "easing" the ends, I had a length of 1 & 7/8 ", and cut the "round" .030 " longer. Drilled both ends of the round (#25 bit) , and tapped both holes 10-24 (I just used HS bits, and "regular" taps, with Butterfield Tapping Compound). If you notice, in the picture that shows the screw head...it was drilled *slightly* off-center...this was NOT intentional :P !! But, it worked out for the best. I planned on "slotting" the screw head (after I had filed it down to a slightly small diameter that the tube O.D.) to allow an easy path for oil to get between the "shaft", and the "tube"....off center drilling gave me a "path" !
   I started polishing the tube O.D., as well as Alan's arm, with a felt buff, in the Dremel, using white rouge as a medium.....it's not "mirror finish", but probably "good enough for who it's for" ;).

I'll cover the actual "knob" , later, and, I'm sure that since this is mostly "by guess and by gosh", I'll wish I had ....made the tube longer,..or shorter...or larger diameter...or something! But, until I try it, I really don't know WHAT I want, so.....
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Crow

I drilled the knob I had turned, and finished ( one coat of paste wood filler, and three coats of poly, and a rubdown with fine steel wool and mineral oil) to accept the 3/8" tubing (used a "U" letter drill....that gave me what I *think* is enough of a press fit)), and also for a ball-oiler (that took a 6mm drill), and then pressed everything together. I had "marked: the tube, with a piece of tape, so I knew "how deep" to press it on. The "shaft hole" is drilled at a slight angle (didn't measure it, just "eye-balled what looked to be a comfortable angle). I attached the completed assembly to the handle arm with a torx head 10-24 stainless screw, and blue locktite, and "snugged" the heck out of it!
    Not nearly as fancy as most of the Custom made' handles I've seen here, but, plenty good enough for a "Rat Rod Reel" :D. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I'll , no doubt, wish things were different with it, when I get "to fishin'", but, I feel you need to pick what you think is best, try it, and THEN start "changing, if needed"....I'll never learn any younger ::)!
    I haven't got the line for it, yet, but do have some 50# braid ...enough to fill it...so I'll probably spool that up, so it's at least "fish-a-ble"
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

mo65

It looks very functional Crow, and that's all you were shooting for. Great job! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Donnyboat

Nice and solid Crow, should catch plenty of fish, good luck cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Darin Crofton

Great job, Crow, turned out nice!
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Caranx

Great project.
It'll be fun when you hit the water with it.
Nothing more satisfying than rattin' out your own reel and putting it to the test.

mhc

Solid workhorse Crow, nice work on the knob and hardware.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Crow

Thanks, fellas ! Yes, I'm looking forward to seeing how it does !

Alto Mare

Good job on that reel Crow, the handle looks good as well.
Should give you many years of usage... enjoy it.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Crow

Thanks everyone !  Here's a pic of the knob.....not a very good image, as, between "the old camera", and "the old man" using it....there's a "whole lotta' shakin' goin' on" !!
   This scrap of wood isn't the "best quality" of leopardwood that I've seen....I guess I must have kept "culling" down through the box ???, so mostly just "dregs" are left.  I Want to do another of Alan's blanks, using a different "shaft" arrangement, and as soon as I figure out, for sure, which reel it'll be going on, I can make my choice of woods....I have a few more , various chunks of "exotics", but I'm leaning towards either a chunk of black walnut crotch, or black cherry crotch ( no rude comments !! Remember the rule !!)

Crow

Keta hooked me up with some Spectra line, and I decided that I'd better "line up" both the "rat rod", and the "349, fer fishin'", so , since I was feeling strong last night , I put the spool on my "spool holder", and started cranking !  Even with  a "moderate" amount of drag on the spool holder....I didn't feel NEARLY as strong after filling both those reels !! :P

Tiddlerbasher

Next project a line spooling machine :D Nice work Crow :)