Big Bass Cheat Mike Long Busted

Started by Zimbass, June 29, 2019, 06:43:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zimbass

Sad that someone would stoop so low  :'(

Read the article, rather long, but worth the read. The video is also long, but needs to be watched.

https://sdfish.com/general/dark-secret-americas-big-bass-guru-mike-long/?fbclid=IwAR1wTJdbHYC_9TaXyPK_E_g1FlvlAdJP6njpoCMtyk6lMiWllbPQylZjvo0

Terry.
Never was so much owed by so many to so few.

mo65

How does a guy like that sleep at night?
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Crow

Very interesting ! Thanks for posting it. Seems that some folks would cheat at anything !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

David Hall

wherever there's big money to be had, there's a snake in the grass.  Its a sad commentary on ones character but it is reality.

AC49

Quote from: David Hall on June 29, 2019, 03:36:12 PM
wherever there's big money to be had, there's a snake in the grass.  Its a sad commentary on ones character but it is reality.

Well said David, my sentiments exactly  >:( >:(

Regards
AC49

swill88

Does this mean my Dobbyns "Mike Long Special" swimbait Rod will go up in value?

Steve

foakes

Thanks, Terry!

The article was long (9 long pages) — but well worth the read — very interesting.

Three takeaways, and (1) common thread between them, IMO —

1) Why did it take so many years and research to catch this guy?  Why was it allowed to continue?
    There is obviously much more to this story, than was written.  Lots of the author's behind the scenes 
    motivations and personal reasons were not included.  This is always true with exposes of this nature.

2) Cheaters, Liars, and Thieves have always existed — in every aspect of life — throughout all time.

3) Long was not the only one to benefit from his dishonest actions — look at the magazine sales, sports
    writer reputations, boat, trailer, vehicle, and equipment manufacturers, tourism, restaurants, hotels,
    Chambers of Commerce, tournament promoters, tackle companies, and much more.  All guilty...

The common thing linking everything together is the infusion of competition for money $$$ that started 40 years ago with the Bass Fishing scene.

It is simple to say that money brings out the worst in some folks — but that is the reality.  This guy was like this before bass fishing ever became so centered on the heaviest (5) fish limit — and rewarded by large $$$ — with little, or no oversight among promoters — because either directly or indirectly — they all benefitted.

So, once again, I am grateful to Alan Tani, for his wise foresight in not allowing advertising or money to become a part of our Ohana group.  Like Alan has always said — it is pure ☠️ poison.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Gfish

Very entertaining read. The bummer for me, is this kinda stuff is "run of the mill" for me now-a-days. I hate being so jadded.
I've never thought that "nest" fishing was ethical for LMB.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

reel man

Sad story, but closer to home cheating for jackpot money has, and still is, being done on sport fishing boats brought on by greed.

oc1

I never heard of the guy and hope to never hear of him again.  It doesn't sound like he was doing it for the money per se, but rather for the thrill and the glory.  The money was just a way to measure success but there are many ways to make more money with less effort.

Tournaments, sponsorships, endorsement deals and such are the bad seed in angling.  Fishing is about matching wits with fish, not matching wits with other fishermen.  If you're a LMB fanatic, competitive and have a bass boat then I do not like you.
-steve

festus

Quote from: oc1 on June 29, 2019, 07:43:33 PM
I never heard of the guy and hope to never hear of him again.  It doesn't sound like he was doing it for the money per se, but rather for the thrill and the glory.  The money was just a way to measure success but there are many ways to make more money with less effort.

Tournaments, sponsorships, endorsement deals and such are the bad seed in angling.  Fishing is about matching wits with fish, not matching wits with other fishermen.  If you're a LMB fanatic, competitive and have a bass boat then I do not like you.
-steve

B@$$ tournaments aren't my cup of tea, either.  Some, not all, b@$$ fishermen in my neck of the woods are rude and have no respect for anyone but themselves on the water.

Gfish

Thanks for posting this Zimbass. Heck of a story. Great reporting by that author.

2 things in the posts stick in my mind:(1)Indeed, "how does a guy like that sleep at night"? How's someone lose their moral/ethical compass like that and justify it? Not to mention live with themselves. Bad genes? A slight amount of brain damage? Childhood abuse?

(2)The "common thread" for this kinda crap always seems to be the same: money, money and job security for related businesses, and power, esp. the ego trip of fooling others.
Seems to be getting worse as time moves on. There's IMO a leadership crisis in our society.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Zimbass

Quote from: oc1 on June 29, 2019, 07:43:33 PM

-steve

Sorry to hear that Steve. I am a LMB fanatic, competitive and have a bass boat, as are the majority of my friends. Best bunch of people you could ever wish to meet. True Ohana.

I for one like all fishermen, irrespective of what species they fish for. In fact I like everybody, until I am given reason to think otherwise.

To each their own.

Terry.
Never was so much owed by so many to so few.

Rivverrat

This write up doesn't surprise me. Nothing evil about money & power. It just has a way of revealing ones true character.   

I fished a few river tournaments for catfish did pretty well. However it took only three for me to know this isn't my thing or why I fish... Jeff 

David Hall

Quote from: Rivverrat on June 30, 2019, 04:24:58 AM
This write up doesn't surprise me. Nothing evil about money & power. It just has a way of revealing ones true character.   

Exactly!