Penn Special Senator 4/0 3145 ARW Rod

Started by mww, June 29, 2019, 10:35:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mww

Hi all

I just got the above rod in a job lot from a friend who's no longer able to go boat fishing. He let me have his collection of gear in exchange for a donation to an animal welfare charity that he does voluntary work for.

I'm based in the U.K., & he can't remember when or where he got the rod from, but I'd guess it will have been apsome time ago. It's a bit overgunned for most of the fish that we encounter, so how it found its way here who knows.

Just wondered if anyone can tell me anything about these rods - at first glance I thought it was just a cheap rod, but the reel fitting is a substantial aluminium job, & full set of rollers are all AFTCO stamped. Blank is white, so I assume fibreglass but no idea whether it's solid or hollow.

It's got no real signs of any use, although the epoxy on the guides has yellowed a bit, so I'd reckon it'll be a good few years old... any ideas when they were on the market

I've searched on the internet & in eBay, but the only one similar that I can find was a completed listing in Italy, & had no real description...

We occasionally target porbeagle sharks in the UK North Sea so I'll probably donate it to the lad whose boat we go in, so hopefully it will get to see a bit of action, or some daylight at least...

Many Thanks

Martyn

It's a white blank

SoCalAngler

I think the white blanks were made up to the mid/late 80's, at least that's when I stopped seeing them new in tackle stores here. They could of been made longer I just don't remember, sorry. Also that rod should be hollow glass and around 40 lb test would be the sweet spot for it. Here on the left coast of the US all roller rods are mostly used for trolling applications. Here is a pic of a non roller rod in action and it may be the same rod model blank. I can't check the model number as that rod burnt up in a fire, but I think my son was fishing 40 lb test when he hooked this fish and that trip was around 1997-1998. I know my father already had the rod for many years and really didn't use it much anymore but it fished fine for our use.

oc1

Quote from: SoCalAngler on June 29, 2019, 04:59:19 PM
Also that rod should be hollow glass and around 40 lb test would be the sweet spot for it.
I was thinking those were solid glass blanks, but it's been quite a while since I paid attention to one.
-steve

mww

Thanks for your comments guys...

Martyn

SoCalAngler

As I remember those rods had what Penn called slick butts. Hard plastic were on those rods behind the reel seat. I don't remember if it had a rubber butt cap or not. If so you can remove it and check if the rod is solid, but I don't think they were.

mww

Thanks, the butt is covered in x-pattern shrink tube, it's a very good fit so think possibly original, & doesn't look like it been added later in life... it's got an aluminium gimbal on the butt end, so can't check by that means, however it doesn't matter much, just interested..

Many Thanks

Martyn