accurate's new tern!

Started by alantani, June 29, 2019, 10:23:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

finally got a reel to pull apart.  i thought it was one drag washer on bottom and two drag washers on top.  it actually has two drag washers underneath and two on top of the main gear.  one drag washer is "slotted" so that it behaves as if it was a plain carbon fiber washer, a "slotted" metal washer and a second carbon fiber washer.  yup, it's functionally a 6-drag system.  the old red 4/0 penn senator is also a 6-drag system, with one drag washer under the main gear and five inside.  surface area-wise, however, i'd just eyeball these washers and guess that the total functional drag surface area is probably double what the red 4/0 penn senator has.  then take into account that the spool height of the tern is perhaps half the height of the senator, so the drag gets doubled again. 

yup, this reel might have four times the power to weight ratio of the old penn 113h!

so that's the upside.  i do see some very small gear teeth, a very thin walled spool and a single anti-reverse roller bearing with no dog back up. 

whether these will prove to be a problem in the future, only time will tell.  if accurate has done it's homework, then it won't be.  and, yup, on the inside it looks like a newell! 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Fishead

Looks like the drag washers are dry, correct? Gives me a reason to take my new toys apart and grease them.
If you're not fishing,you're wishing you were!!