Two Pigs in Blankets

Started by ChileRelleno, June 30, 2019, 03:46:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChileRelleno

Two Pigs in Blankets

For quite awhile I've been wanting to cook two different styles of Butts.
'Mexican Puerco Pibil' and 'Hawaiian Kalua Pork.
Both these tasty dishes are traditionally cooked wrapped in banana leaves and in a pit.
Banana leaves, not a problem.
Digging a pit in Mama's backyard, problem.
We shall overcome!

Puerco Pibil
Pork shoulder/butt traditionally marinated in a mixture Sour Orange juice, salt and spices.
I don't have Sour Orange, but a 50/50 mix of grapefruit and orange juices works as a good substitute.  Achiote (ground annatto) paste and various chiles, usually gaujillo,  gives it it's red color.

Marinade
1.5C each Grapefruit and Orange juices
4T Achiote paste
2T Arbol chile powder
1T minced garlic
2T salt
Marinated overnight, then dusted with more achiote and chile powders and salt.
Wrapped in banana leaves and trussed.

Kalua Pork
If you go to a luau in Hawaii you're going to see pork one of two ways, whole pig or pig parts wrapped in banana and/or Ti leaves and sometimes burlap and cooked in a rock lined pit with hardwood coals.  Kiawe is the commonly used wood, us mainlanders know it as Mesquite.
In researching I found a dozen ways to marinate and spice it, from half a dozen sources.
I ended up doing it this way,

Marinade
3C Orange juice
1C Pineapple juice
1C diced pineapple
1/4C Soy sauce
1/8C Fish sauce
1/2C minced ginger
1T minced garlic
3T salt

Marinated overnight, and then wrap in banana leaves and trussed.

Fire up the smoke with a 60/40 mix of mesquite and hickory.
This is one time where I want a heavier smoke, not Thin Blue Smoke.
Because the meat is well protected by the leaves it can take it, it really needs it.
Normally both Puerco pibil and kalua Pork are confined in an almost airtight pit and both are known for their intense smokey flavor.

Fours hours into the cook, the leaves look dry and brittle but they're not.

Stay tuned Pork Fans!

[USER=67240]@tx smoker[/USER]

Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Crow

I've gained three pounds just looking at what you've done, already !!!
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

ChileRelleno

Out of the smoker the outer layers are dry and brittle, but not terribly so. The inner layers are still moist and pliable, and they've treated the pork most righteously... OH Man, the smell of the Kalua pork.

The Pibil Problem
So... I ended up burning the sauce that was supposed to go in with the Puerco pibil.
Bummer, the sauce it stews/braises in is what makes it.

Anyways, the plan was to open the banana packet, pour the sauce in and let it finish cooking for about the last hour or so.
It didn't happen, and I threw together a fruity/spicy pineapple salsa with plenty of achiote and chile powder and added it after the cook.
It had a good kick to it, but perhaps it needed more, some Habanero perhaps.

Yep, the Kalua Stole the Show
This stuff was great, even if it wasn't as smokey as I hoped.
And I might add some coconut milk next time to the marinade, and definitely more pineapple and ginger in with the wrapped pork.
But I'm my own worst critic and seldom happy with something new.
But the family declared it the winner.

Kalua

Pibil

The bones slid out clean.

And it pulled like Pulled Pork should.

[MEDIA=youtube]-Zxyf_u7qC0[/MEDIA]

The Kalua plated with Rice and a Caesar salad.
I splashed some Ponzu sauce on the rice, it got on the pork and it was a match made in Heaven.

Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

MarkT

When I was your age Pluto was a planet!