Halibut rod

Started by Ron Jones, June 30, 2019, 04:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Jones

So,
If you read the Excellent Adventure thread, you know that I've been bouncing all kinds of weight on the bottom of the ocean. I have fallen in LOVE with Norwegian jigs and my new Okuma Celilo halibut rod. The combination is a match made in heaven as long as I'm bouncing the 750 gram jig. However, the tip is just a bit soft for the 1000 gram jig, and that thing was pure murder on larger halibut. Our man Eric brought the new Okuma SST 80-120# rod and it appeared to perform swimmingly with 1000 gram pipe jigs, at least Eric worked them like a pro. Looking through the Okuma catalog I see that a Cedros A jigging rod can be had in the 80-200# range, which is heavier than Erics rod. The components on the Cedros are nicer than the SST, but that really doesn't concern me, I'm hoping someone can give me a second opinion on weather or not the Cedros is worth the extra money.
If someone is in the market for a medium weight jigging rod that punches way above its weight class, I recommend the Okuma Celilo halibut without reservation.

The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"