Springs everywhere

Started by Bill B, June 30, 2019, 11:58:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

So the topic has been mentioned in other places but no specific measurements on lighter springs, so I took apart two lighters to scavenge their springs and measure....a Gil lighter on the left and a Bic on the right...the Gil only has one spring and the measurement are shown......next post will have the Bic lighter.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Bill B

The. Bic lighter was next...surprised the Gil has only one while the Bic has two.....the measurements are shown...Bill

Bill B

And while I was at it my neighbor pointed out the common red and white bobber has a spring in it...so took three of the common sizes and retrieved the springs from them......the large first....

Bill B

Medium and small...

Crow

Spring has sprung !!  Thanks, that will come in handy .
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Donnyboat

Good post thanks Bill, yes spring will be here in Australia, in September, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Rivverrat

Bill, this is one of those threads I'm sure many will get something they will use from it... Jeff

Alto Mare

Good job Bill!...thanks for sharing.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bill B

Thank you for the sticky, who would have thought something so simple would generate this interest....a couple observations:

1. The long skinny springs are used to push the lighter flint up to the striker, and seem pretty powerful, but I have no way to measure the pressures
2. The springs on the bobbers, the small bobber seemed to have the most pressure, but again no way to measure
3. The larger the bobber did not yield a more powerful spring, albeit the opposite seems the rule

I would be interested to see what the Penn dog springs measure out to, I don't have any in stock to measure...maybe if someone is servicing a reel they can post them for us......Bill

Reel Newbie

I crushed the dog spring in my squidder a while back, and now it is a bic lighter spring in there. The ratchet is now a whole lot more audible than before.

Bill B

Good to hear you were able to use one of those spring.....Bill

kevin cozens

Hi. i have just came across this thread and i find it very interesting. I have been using lighter springs for some years now. I don't think there is anyone who can honestly say they have not lost a dog spring.
What i do find with the lighter springs is that some are just slightly stronger. if this is an advantage or not i cannot tell.
What i do recommend though is to make sure that a lighter spring has grease on it as they are not suitable for this type of use.
Another spring that could be useful is a biro spring