Redfish at the Panama City beach pier

Started by Mjg378, July 01, 2019, 01:55:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mjg378

Traveling for work I had the afternoon free in Panama City Beach, FL.  Knowing I might have a chance to fish I packed  a bass pro extreme  3 piece medium heavy travel rod that matches up nicely with a Abu Garcia 5500c3 that has the Tani treatment!   Brought a  Bucktail, a gotcha lure and a sabaki fishing lure for live bait.  I also had prepared 30 lb flouro leaders with 1/0 and 3/0 hooks .  Not a lot but enough to fish.   The tackle doesn't take up much room  in my suitcase and the rod fits in a small tube. 
Free by noon I headed to the pier as the beach was way to crowded.  The water in the trough was clear. I could see some baitfish and Started by throwing the buck tail just to see what would happen. The guy next to me hooked up a nice redfish.  I was talking with him and he showed me a silver spoon he was using that he bought at the pier store.  He hooked up another soon after that popped his line.    Well that did it,  I went right into the tackle shop with my new friend and bought it.  I Hooked up 2 nice redfish.   Had to swim this guy in to unhook him and he swam away strong.  H
(Didn't get time  to use the sabaki)
Can't believe I was handing my phone to tourist at the beach saying please take my picture!!
Mike G

Crow

Nice one ! I've taken a few reds off the rock jetties on Dauphin Island with a Johnson Silver Minnow. I should try something with a "free swinging hook", though, as I think the "fixed hook", on the Johnson causes some missed strikes.
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Benni3

Very nice fish,,,, :D i love fishing those Florida waters,,,,great job,,,,,, ;D

wailua boy

Nice fish and nice bonus to your business trip.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!