Got away

Started by Makule, July 01, 2019, 07:18:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Makule

The back story is that this was about June 20 at Ka Lae.  Saw large ahi jumping about 400 yards offshore and sent my line out with a nice opelu (mackerel).  Maybe an hour later, as we were packing up, the alarm went off and the reel (Shimano Triton Beastmaster 50-80) started singing a sweet song.  Fish stopped about 200 yards later after tightening the drag.  Still had lots of line on the spool (150 lb braid) but the less line out the better I like it.

Curtis Kam started the camera after the initial run stopped.  He jumped on the rod when the strike started but I think he got frightened when he couldn't do anything with the reel or rod (kind of a gentleman fisherman) and got the camera instead.

Mainline broke, but don't think it was rubbing on the buoy.  Probably a worn spot that gave up.  What is not apparent is that when I wasn't cranking, the line was moving out.  Second largest strike I've had.  At least this one was moving in a little.

Don't know why Curtis turned the camera and don't know why the video comes out upside down (or how to change it).  Maybe someone can fix it.

Was away this week for a church outing and didn't have time to post after getting back from the trip last week (or maybe I was trying to keep my secret spot a secret).  Lots of mahimahi, now ono, and ahi this year.  Lots of big ahi (150+ size).  This one was definitely over 150.

I need Sharkhunter's Everol.  The 80 Beastmaster just doesn't have enough guts to winch in the really big stuff.  Forces me to "play" the fish.  For a meat fisherman like me, playing the fish isn't pleasing.  Subsequently got two pairs of leather gloves so I can handline the braid when cranking is difficult. 

BTW, anyone have a handle that will fit on the Beastmaster but that has a longer crank arm?  Need more cranking power.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KR8DdoMzQ0_ttVBWaAy70_FqSxgsZ-ep/view?usp=sharing
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Crow

I don't think you were playing the fish....he was playing you !! Seriously, I'd LOVE to tie into something like that !!
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Makule

Quote from: Crow on July 01, 2019, 12:55:53 PM
I don't think you were playing the fish....he was playing you !! Seriously, I'd LOVE to tie into something like that !!

Who is playing who?  Intriguing question.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

steelfish

wow and from the rocks !!

yay!!  pure adrenaline

maybe a penn 50s or 80w could be better for you and way cheaper than an everol

The Baja Guy

oc1

Tough luck loosing it Albert but, man, that must have been exciting.  Nice rod holder there.  You've probably used it before.  There's not many (if any) other places in the world where that could happen.
Regards,
-steve

Shark Hunter

There is always next time Robert. Thanks for taking us along.
Life is Good!

Dominick

Whoa!  Pretty cool Albert.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Benni3

Yes it happens,,,,, ??? but me and marlo just say I wonder what that was,,,, :D and what if "nope" it doesn't matter now,,,,, ;) all you can do is 1 put a strong knot on the hook 2 set your "drag" me and marlo lose alot of fish and the more big ones get away the easier it is,,,,, :) I know you will get the next one,,,,,,, ;D

Alto Mare

It appeared the reel was doing its job, but the line failed. Nice try Albert, maybe you'll meet again someday.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

Aloha Albert,

Can you send me a picture of the arm?  And if you don't mind a little disassembly, I'd like to see the mating of the arm to the shaft.  I may have something that would work.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Makule

Quote from: steelfish on July 01, 2019, 07:42:43 PM
wow and from the rocks !!

yay!!  pure adrenaline

maybe a penn 50s or 80w could be better for you and way cheaper than an everol

The reel is the equivalent size of an 80w.  It was the predecessor of the more modern reels and built tough.  Two speed, large drag disk carbon fiber, lever drag.

Makule

Quote from: Shark Hunter on July 01, 2019, 07:56:22 PM
There is always next time Robert. Thanks for taking us along.

You should come for a visit with your reels.  I'll supply rods and terminal tackle.

Makule

Quote from: Bryan Young on July 02, 2019, 12:37:43 AM
Aloha Albert,

Can you send me a picture of the arm?  And if you don't mind a little disassembly, I'd like to see the mating of the arm to the shaft.  I may have something that would work.

Bryan

The arm is 80mm from crank to shaft.  Mounting hole is square (about 5/16").  Will send image and measurements later.  Thank you.

Makule

As mentioned, this is what I consider to be my second largest strike.  The largest was just a couple of hundred yards away.  Few people fish there because the cliff is very high (about 100')  This recent strike was a bit lower and has a better area to send out bait and land fish.

Yes, there will be other times and this might be the year.

As much as I hate to admit it, I may have met my match.  No way can cranking even with low range be possible (unless a longer crank is available).  Even trying to pull the line by gloved hands is difficult (was impossible on the largest strike....I tried).  Taking the rod out of the stand is foolish unless a swim is desired.  Someone advised that boat guys run down the fish or just "lock" the drag and use the boat to drag the fish to the surface and/or retrieve the line.  I considered it but couldn't figure how to put the island in throttle.  It only stayed in park.

Shark Hunter

I prefer my Islands in park as well my friend. ;)
Life is Good!