Question about Ultimate kit for Newell P/Blackies

Started by Recoil Rob, July 03, 2019, 01:52:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recoil Rob

Bryan,
I just finished installing my second kit in a P229M and I have a question.

The belleville washer included with the kit is a smaller diameter and not as tall as the OEM part. When I used it I got about 2 turns of the star before any tightening of the drag. It worked fine, I got more drag than I'll ever need from it but curiosity got the better of me so I tried it with the larger OEM washer. My drag started tightening up about a turn sooner and a little more max drag.

What is the reason you include a smaller belleville in the kit? One thought that crossed my mind is that because it's a smaller diameter it will contact the top keyed washer in the middle of it's width rather than at the edge like the OEM does. I thought since the new metal washers are so thin it might give a more even force on the stack.

thanks,

Rob

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
   - Errol Flynn

Bryan Young

Hi Rob,

1). the Belleville is provided as a convenience as I have run across multiple Newell's with cracked Belleville washers.

2). That is the washer that I could find that was not larger than the metal washer when compressed.

3). Due to the thickness of my stainless steel washers, I noticed that it would flex ever so slightly when pressure is applied. I found, like you mentioned, when pressure is applied to the middle of the stack, I bet a more consistent and even pressure to the drag stack as a whole.

4). For some reels, the deg stack sits higher. This allows the use of the Belleville washer without the Belleville washer hitting the side plate.

So, by all means, if the drag kit performs better with the stock Belleville  washer, go ahead and use it. It's hard to make a kit that will fit all reels because there are slight variations between reels.

With that said, sometimes I need to use a stick keyed washer or spacer to increase the stack height. Other times, I would grind the height of the spacer so the drag stack fits otherwise there would be anywhere 1-2# of drag on the loose drag setting.

Hope this helps.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Recoil Rob

Thanks for the informative reply Bryan, just what I was wondering about. Very happy with my kits, only hope to use them on a fish that requires them, they are smooth starting drags!

thanks,

Rob
   - Errol Flynn

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Recoil Rob

Just got finished installing the last kit in my P338J, went together smoothly, I used a slightly different setup after the stack to get a fantastic drag range.

It's like these are completely new reels. They were always smooth and functional but the drags were the weak spot. Now I can load this reel lots of 50# braid and use them offshore or deep water.

Thanks for the help Bryan!

- Errol Flynn