TSI 321 Torture Test and Review

Started by Sledge, July 06, 2019, 12:26:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sledge

Just got in an order the other day from Dawn at Smoothdrag.com.  Got a few of her excellent drag washer sets, but also ordered some Cal's Reel and Drag Grease, and some TSI 321 Bearing Oil in a convenient needle oiler.  Running low on the Abu Garcia brand Reel Oil and Silicote Reel Lube I had picked up from Wally World some time ago, and wanted to give these high-speed lubes all you guys use a try.
Well, got to test the TSI 321 sooner than expected, but not on a fishing reel!  I have a couple of these cheap 10" metal fans I use for air circulation to help out the a/c.  Much needed here in the Dirty South this time of year!  Problem is I run them 12 hours a day sometimes, and they don't last six months to a year before one of the two bearings dries out and starts to squall!
Normally after the first signs of bearing seizure I pull off the shroud and give them a dose of 3-in-1 oil, and they'll run a week or more before having to do it again.  But eventually the bearings will become so galled up that it will seize completely, or be so tight a little oil won't help anymore.
I could replace the bearings at this point, but the fans are so cheap it's easier to toss it and buy another one.  A sign of the times, I guess, and I don't want to go down that road and get started on a rant...so back to the review!
One of my two fans started squalling a couple days ago.  So I pulled off the shroud and gave it a good dusting, as usual.  But this time I substituted the TSI 321 Bearing Oil for the for the 3-in-1...and OH MAN!  I turned it on after putting it back together, and I thought the thing was going to take off and fly around the room!  It didn't spin that fast when it was new...and boy did that little sucker move some air!
Now it seems the TSI 321 may be slightly lower in viscosity than the "Toolkit In A Can", which may account for the faster fan motor speed.  But the lightly galled bearings immediately released, and spun smoothly after application.  Also, after test running for a minute or so, and then turning off the switch, it continued to spin for what seemed like an amazingly long time, even with the induced air drag of the blades!  Add to that the TSI 321 doesn't stink like the typical sewing machine oil, and so doesn't fill up my living space with an unpleasant oil smell.
It says in the marketing print that this space age lube actually bonds to the metal.  I would expect that to mean it's lubricating properties may last somewhat longer than I have experienced in the past, but that remains to be seen.  What I do know is, the four relubed bearings in both my fans have so far endured at least 36 hours of high speed usage without complaint.  How much actual spinning movement does that equate to in a typical fishing reel...how many seasons of casting for the horizon, or deep blue monsters ripping drag and heading for the abyss?  I don't know.  And many of you guys have already tested first hand what it means when high temperatures and salt water are added to the equation.  But for my mind, this is excellent stuff, and I'll be using it on my own reels in future!

Tight lines!

Sledge

MarkT

When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

mo65

Interesting Sledge...I may have to upgrade my fan oil too!
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

PacRat

I've had a similar experience with 321. I recently rescued a mid-century portable swamp-cooler out of my neighbors trash. I plugged it in and the motor wouldn't turn. It was all gummed up. First I used WD-40 because it's a pretty good solvent. The motor would run but when I turned it off for the night it would not re-start. The shaft on this cooler drives the squirrel cage fan and the water pump impeller. It gets pretty cruddy (well swampy) inside so it dawned on me that I should go to my reel arsenal. So then I lubed it up with 321 and it has worked perfectly ever since. The RPMs were much better with the 321. I'll let you guys know when/if it stops running with the 321.
-Mike

Sledge

I know just what you mean, Mike.  I'm very familiar with those swamp coolers from my younger days.  But I don't remember ever having one where the pump worked!  What I do remember is being made to run outside and hose it down!  Ha!

Well, discovered something I don't like about the TSI 321 Needle Oiler.  There's no way to cap the needle.  And that's no fault of the vendor... It's a manufacturer oversight.
To plug the bottle you have to switch the cap out, and then the needle will weep oil all over where you put it down.  Pray you don't misplace it before you need it again!  Otherwise, make sure the bottle doesn't tump over, or you'll have a mess!  But I may have a solution.  I've got some little foam bits I use for bait rigging to keep it off the bottom.  I think one of those may suffice as a cap.

PacRat

I put my 321 in a needle oiler that I purchased at a gun show. The plastic cap has a wire that goes down the needle tube. The wire is great for applying very small amounts. A clock-maker showed me this trick.
I also use an insulin syringe for doing small drops in tight places.
-Mike

Donnyboat

Yes I have a syringe needle, that has a long plastic cap that clips over the needle, I have had it for many years, I think I first brought it with some bovine syringes I brought, as I replace a syringe it seems to fit on the new one okay, really handy, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Gobi King

This is what I use,
https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/shop-accessories-supplies/liquid-squeeze-bottles/needle-oiler-bottles-prod44434.aspx

They have a $10 off coupon if you sign up for their emails.

My TSI Story:
11 year old honda truck has a noisy alternator/pully drive belt noise.
I oiled the bearings lightly and noise was gone. save me from paying honda lotsa fishing lure cash
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

PacRat

Those bottles from Brownells look exactly like the one I bought at the gun show. Do the ones from Brownells have a wire in the red stopper? I've misplaced mine and admission to the gun-show is $18 now so I don't go very often.
-Mike

Gobi King

wire in stopper?
I don't know, sorry I will check when I get back home later in the week.
Fichigan

SoCalAngler

Quote from: PacRat on July 07, 2019, 04:10:47 AM
Those bottles from Brownells look exactly like the one I bought at the gun show. Do the ones from Brownells have a wire in the red stopper? I've misplaced mine and admission to the gun-show is $18 now so I don't go very often.
-Mike

I have the exact needle bottles, red cap with through wire, I bought then from a fly fishing store close to me. You can find the same bottles with a google search and if you don't want to pay shipping support a store close to you.

Here in So Cal where I keep my reel servicing stuff is outside in a non air conditioned garage, so you can guess big temp changes. With the temp changes and sometimes the oilier bottle laying sideways I put it into...well I don't know how to say this, but dime baggies. Very small zip type bags like ones drag washers come in. As a matter of fact when I order bearings, drags or any other small parts and they come in one of those zip bags I save them. Now those hold many tiny parts and not the ones the baggie came with.

I only have one bottle about 1/4 full at most any time. The TSI 321 lube in that bottle will do 100's of bearings and with heat expansion and the bottle falling or laying sideways the baggie holds any leakage that may happen.

Sledge

Quote from: PacRat on July 07, 2019, 04:10:47 AM
...admission to the gun-show is $18 now so I don't go very often.
-Mike

Wow!  That's one of my favorite things, going to gun shows...but $18 a pop would ruin it for me.  Thankfully, most everything I "need" can be found online, and shipped to my door.  Unfortunately, the politicians have decided they were missing out on all the revenue, and implemented sales tax for online sales.  So now some of the joy is sucked out of something else I enjoy! 😵. Even theBay has been forced to devise a system to automatically take out taxes.  Anyway...I said that to say this, it's forcing me to seek out vendors and private sales to avoid the taxes when getting what I need.

Gobi King

Quote from: Gobi King on July 08, 2019, 01:39:11 AM
wire in stopper?
I don't know, sorry I will check when I get back home later in the week.

I did not see any wire in the stopper, I remember I had to borrow a sewing needle from grandma to unclog one many moons back  ;D
Fichigan