Boat Launch Follies

Started by Maxed Out, July 06, 2019, 12:48:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maxed Out

Went to my local launch today knowing it was a minus 3.0 tide. The port has stopped dredging the launch and any tide lower than minus 1.0 is a no go. Usually we can use the launch at any tide, but without dredging, it just keeps getting worse. This is one of the largest launches on the west coast. 15 lanes, and huge parking lots.

In the picture all looks normal, but take a closer look. Every single boat in the picture is sitting high and dry on the mud. Some look like they're floating, but trust me, they are stuck too. Even all the boats tied to outer perimeter dock. Crabbing just opened yesterday and one huge trailer lot was nearly full. It's a busy launch and it's my launch and it sucks to see it this way. Hope the port gets it done eventually, but for now this is what we got
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Maxed Out

Here is a zoomed up shot. You can see the grady on the far left is high and dry on mud. The boat with green bimini top is stuck too. It was strange cause the launch was so quiet even though there were plenty of boats.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Gfish

Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Ron Jones

They need to get that fixed soon, we've got salmon to catch.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

oc1

I once saw a two-lane boat ramp and thought that was big and special.  But, fifteen lanes!!
-steve

Hardy Boy

Some of our ramps have a big drop on the end of the concrete on really low tides . seen some nast traile tire damage and trailer frame hang ups . At least mud does not cause damage. Good like Ted !

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

milne

Hi Ted,  We have the same issues down under. Lack of maintenance and removing of facilities over a period of time, made it a huge recent state election
    issue. the government fees for registration and licences were a revenue racket.  Our recent election had both major parties make huge promises for votes, which is now having an impact and they are now improving boating conditions. It was something like 50-60 million in revenue from boaters here with absolutely no maintenance, ie dredging, ramp upgrades etc, they even removed most bins and fish tables because it cost to maintain them. We pay for launching and parking as well, so we were truly getting screwed. So now, with the election done and dusted and the true revenue dollars made public, they now have to spend the coin they take and improve facilities. We are seeing results, but a lot of smaller ramps are like your situation above and without regular maintenance dredging, it makes them unusable......

Col

boon

I think you gentlemen have it pretty good!

If it makes you feel any better about the muddy mess above, here's a couple of our regular launch spots...

Ruffy

Quote from: boon on July 09, 2019, 08:08:31 AM
I think you gentlemen have it pretty good!

If it makes you feel any better about the muddy mess above, here's a couple of our regular launch spots...

Where is that Boon? Looks like North Queensland, Cardwell way?

Cheers,
Ruffy

boon

New Zealand mate :) Similar corner of the world.

Gfish

Here's most of one on South Kaua'i from the late 1800's. No upgrades or rebulids is kinda cool on something like this. Koloa Landing was a whale ship loading/off loading ramp. A circa 1910 photo shows an elaborate scaffolding set-up to hoist loads up to a nearby railroad track. Cement and rebar.
It's now a favorite shore-diving/snorkling spot and my main kayak launch point.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Crow

Nice !   The ramp is pretty neat, too ! ;)
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !