Have the Torque star drags been discontinued

Started by natch!, July 06, 2019, 06:34:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

natch!

While reading a thread on surface iron reels in Bloody Decks I saw a comment that the TRQ star drags have been discontinued.

Jack

Rivverrat

They are on sale right now. Find it very hard to believe they are no more... Jeff

Penn

Rivverrat

Oh No !!

Will there be a replacement coming ?

Were they not selling as well as expected ?

Keta

Bummer, I was impressed with the one I worked on last month.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

MarkT

This is ICAST week! They're coming out with a new Torque TRQ15XNLD2 which is a narrow 25, not a narrow 15.  The Torques will all be available in silver as well as gold.  Penn is also coming out with a new Fathom II lineup.

The coolest stuff looks to be the new Shimano Speedmaster II's which look like lower priced Talica's. Now they'll have the Torium/Trinidad and Speedmaster/Talica lines.  Now they just need to update the old Tiagras so they'll have something to take on the Penn Internationals and Okuma Makaira's.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

sabaman1

Mark, I thought the Shimano Talica was right up there with the Penn VISX and Okuma Makaira as the top, go to big fish reels?
JIM

MarkT

The Talicas are built on the light side.  They don't have a heavy/strong frame like an International/Makaira/Tiagra.

Tunanorth

Quote from: MarkT on July 10, 2019, 01:49:28 PM
This is ICAST week! They're coming out with a new Torque TRQ15XNLD2 which is a narrow 25, not a narrow 15.  The Torques will all be available in silver as well as gold.  Penn is also coming out with a new Fathom II lineup.

The coolest stuff looks to be the new Shimano Speedmaster II's which look like lower priced Talica's. Now they'll have the Torium/Trinidad and Speedmaster/Talica lines.  Now they just need to update the old Tiagras so they'll have something to take on the Penn Internationals and Okuma Makaira's.

To clarify, the new size is referred to as a "15", because in the numbering system for PENN's new models, it indicates that it holds 300 yards of "that" pound test monofilament. This model has the same total capacity as the other models designated "15", but the "XN" tells you it is the taller/narrower configuration. It is a very cool size, and although targeting the "Slow Pitch Jigging" market, numerous San Digo-based anglers have already said they will use it for yo-yo'ing CA-style iron, and 30-40 pound live bait duties for tuna.

MarkT

The new Torque 15 is larger than the current Torque/Fathom/Squall 15's, right?

Rivverrat

It's a thinned down 25N same capacity as the Torque 15... Jeff

Keta

Yup, it is a Torque "25NN".  

Too bad I've been "working" lately and have some $, I ordered one this morning.  I'm waiting for a TRQ40XNLD2 to come out now.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Tunanorth

Heard the shipping department has been working overtime, and several San Diego area dealers have already received them, and anglers immediately buying them.

Rivverrat

Quote from: mrbrklyn on July 13, 2019, 06:22:23 PM
Quote from: natch! on July 06, 2019, 06:34:13 PM
While reading a thread on surface iron reels in Bloody Decks I saw a comment that the TRQ star drags have been discontinued.

Jack

that would be very stupid

I agree with the sentiment. But it is true. What I have felt is / was the best star drag ever made is no more. Penn has them listed on sale on their site to clear out remaining inventory. Not enough people had the same feelings about this series of reels as my self & others. I had a bad feeling when several months ago Charkbait chose to no longer keep them in inventory

None of the newer star drags come close to the all around performance & capability of the Torque star drag. People do not wish to pay the associated price that comes with a stellar, benchmark star drag & that is the sad fact of this matter... Jeff

Rivverrat

Again I could not agree with you more. I absolutely love my two Torque 12's. I was thinking keep the 25N along with the 12 or 15 or all 3.  My Torque 12's are Mouse sized Monster killers. Spooled with more 60 hollow than I'll ever need & a 50 - 60 short leader fish over 60 lbs. have been brought to boat & bank while fishing heavy very fast current... Jeff