Have the Torque star drags been discontinued

Started by natch!, July 06, 2019, 06:34:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tunanorth

People do not wish to pay the associated price that comes with a stellar, benchmark star drag & that is the sad fact of this matter... Jeff
[/quote]

Bingo!

Rivverrat

Quote from: mrbrklyn on July 13, 2019, 08:55:03 PM
Quote from: Rivverrat on July 13, 2019, 08:22:54 PM
Again I could not agree with you more. I absolutely love my two Torque 12's. I was thinking keep the 25N along with the 12 or 15 or all 3.  My Torque 12's are Mouse sized Monster killers. Spooled with more 60 hollow than I'll ever need & a 50 - 60 short leader fish over 60 lbs. have been brought to boat & bank while fishing heavy very fast current... Jeff

wow - 60 lb fish... what species?

Both  Blue Cat & Flathead

Ron Jones

I dont think that the Torque won the naming game in the star drag arena. Peole thnk more of the Terns or Saltiga's (love that reel) at that price point. Not to mention the guys like Mark and the P$at Ba$$tard that use those oversize bass reels (yes, they are a lot of fun.)
Unless it is truly big gun time, Penn seems to be the old fogie reel, I'm good with that.

The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

MarkT

I wouldn't put the Terns in the top tier. They're the new kids on the block but have a lot of trouble achieving their rated drag. Apparently their drag rating #'s are based on an almost empty spool! The Trinidad's are probably on top in the high end star drag arena.  But I think you'll be seeing more Torques now that they're available in silver.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Tunanorth

Quote from: MarkT on July 14, 2019, 03:13:00 AM
I wouldn't put the Terns in the top tier. They're the new kids on the block but have a lot of trouble achieving their rated drag. Apparently their drag rating #'s are based on an almost empty spool! The Trinidad's are probably on top in the high end star drag arena.  But I think you'll be seeing more Torques now that they're available in silver.

the silver Torques will be in the "lever drag" models only.

Rivverrat

The Trinidad reels are liked by many people. With their being offered in only high speed they are I think best as a jigging reel & not so good for bait. The Torque in the appropriate size & available gearing could do both. But still not quite as fast as the newer Trinidad. The Trini's are I think 7" per crank faster than the Torque. I agree the Tern is not in the same class as the Torque or Trinidad star drag.  

I have two prior generation Trinidad reels.  With regular maintenance, only fresh water use & after only two seasons of use they became so rough they ended up in the bottom of one of my junk buckets with two earlier versions of the Stella's. Given the 12 year old rule that's all I'll say about this brand  :-\

Other than reels I have for people I take out my personal reels get used most every week some every day it's not winter. A lot more durable, more capable reels out today than say 20 or so years. but with their given price I guess I've become more picky & opinionated as I've got older.  Not always a good thing  :P ... Jeff

Ron Jones

I wouldn't put them in the top tier either, but a w
Quote from: MarkT on July 14, 2019, 03:13:00 AM
I wouldn't put the Terns in the top tier. They're the new kids on the block but have a lot of trouble achieving their rated drag. Apparently their drag rating #'s are based on an almost empty spool! The Trinidad's are probably on top in the high end star drag arena.  But I think you'll be seeing more Torques now that they're available in silver.

I don't think the Tern's are top tier either, but a whole bunch of people on boats are upset that Armani doesn't make fishing clothing, even if it sucked. When you want people to be impressed by your money as much as your ability, you buy the Tern and then hope no one notices that you "don't deserve such a fine fishing instrument" to paraphrase Ferris.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"