Heddon 230--a worm gear drive Japanese import

Started by festus, July 06, 2019, 10:02:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

This is one of those reels I'd been searching for months to find a good specimen.  They'd been scarce on ebay, and if one popped up for sale it was usually in rough condition, overpriced, or shipping charges were too expensive.  These are the only Heddon spinnners I'm aware of that run on the worm drives.  If anyone knows otherwise, please correct me.

The reel was fishable straight out of the ebay box.  All it needed was line.  Thought I'd check out the innards anyway.

BTW, the map in the background illustrates a portion of the Tennessee River on Watts Bar Lake near Ten Mile, TN.  This area has great fishing for most freshwater species other than trout native to Tennessee.  Goat Island and Iron Hill Island are there. BTW, the reel is sitting on the old Stump Hollow Campground. It was a favorite hangout of mine until the owners got older and too feeble to operate it.  Unfortunately, after they passed away, the heirs developed it into a subdivision. Fantastic fishing, we used to spend 3-4 nights, especially during mayfly hatching season.

Yes, even though the grease was still soft, it was nasty enough the  reel needed a thorough cleaning.

The crank screw has left handed threads, similar to the Shakespeare Royal Maroons.

Two screws secure the axle to the crank arm.

Out comes the axle.

The main gear had some old tarry grease buildup behind it.

I took extra caution removing the rotor, because I'd been warned ahead of time some loose balls could possibly scatter from the bearings.

Got it off without a major disaster, only spilled one ball.

Same precaution used to remove pinion without a major spill.

Rotor and bail trip assembly needed cleaning, so I took it all apart.

A look at the bearing assemblies, listed as thrust ball bearings on the schematic.  These aren't that big of a problem to service, especially if you use a magnetized awl for reassembling the thoroughly greased balls.

All parts except for the anti-reverse assembly were disassembled and given a good cleaning in either Dawn dishwashing liquid or lacquer thinner.  The drag assembly consisted of two washers--one really thick felt and one metal.

Lubing the a/r assembly.

Using Super Lube again.  This pinion and main were both made of brass.

Got the pinion and bearings back in place without a major spill again.

Finishing reassembling all parts of the bail.

Main gear back in place.

Reattaching the axle to the crank arm. All it needs is the side plate back on and it's finished.

These are one of the better built Heddon spinners.  They weigh 13.16 oz on my scales with an empty spool and according to manufacturer, the line capacity is 200 yds of 10 lb mono.  I wouldn't want to spool it with anything heavier than 12 lb mono, and really don't see a point to go below 8 lb. mono.  These should handle practically any largemouth bass or catfish up to 17-18 lbs.  I'd be reluctant to use it in the salt, however.  

Which is my favorite Heddon?  I'm not quite sure yet.  The series of the 233, 248, and 277 with the one ball bearing are good ones.  So is the 281.  I suppose the 282, 283, and 284 are also very good reels.

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

mo65

Thanks for the great look at that reel Chester...it appears to be a very solid reel. I see it even has a brass or bronze bushing for the main gear shaft. I have a Roddy 820-A heading my way so this post was timely indeed. Nice work cleanin' her up buddy! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

festus

Quote from: mo65 on July 07, 2019, 01:17:26 AM
  Thanks for the great look at that reel Chester...it appears to be a very solid reel. I see it even has a brass or bronze bushing for the main gear shaft. I have a Roddy 820-A heading my way so this post was timely indeed. Nice work cleanin' her up buddy! 8)
Thanks for the compliments, Crow and Mo.

There is still a good looking Roddy 820-A with box and papers on ebay BIN right now going cheap.

Stay tuned for more Heddons, l have a 220-R, a 222, and a 235 coming next week.

mo65

Quote from: festus on July 07, 2019, 01:56:52 AM
There is still a good looking Roddy 820-A with box and papers on ebay BIN right now going cheap.

That's odd...that is the reel I bought! I bought a different listing though, same pics and description, but a different item number. Might want to think twice about ordering that one as it has already been shipped to me, it's currently showing as being at the Columbus, Ohio facility!

Crow

Ebay has been making quite a few "oops!" lately.....I should say, More than usual, I guess ! Within the last 2 months....I've had two items that "I won", and paid for , immediately, that were "withdrawn because of a "bad" listing"...whatever that means ??? ! One item that "I won"....that was, apparently, already sold, and shipped...so that one was , naturally, canceled out ::), and two items that were shipped "wrong"...I mean the seller sent the "wrong item" to me...granted, that was the seller, not Ebay, itself, so not "fair" to ascribe any fault to Ebay, about them. Plus, I've had more items "withdrawn from sale" than usual...again, I suppose that was the seller having sold the item, locally, while the bid was still running ???
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

festus

Quote from: Crow on July 07, 2019, 03:59:35 PM
    Ebay has been making quite a few "oops!" lately.....I should say, More than usual, I guess ! Within the last 2 months....I've had two items that "I won", and paid for , immediately, that were "withdrawn because of a "bad" listing"...whatever that means ??? ! One item that "I won"....that was, apparently, already sold, and shipped...so that one was , naturally, canceled out ::), and two items that were shipped "wrong"...I mean the seller sent the "wrong item" to me...granted, that was the seller, not Ebay, itself, so not "fair" to ascribe any fault to Ebay, about them. Plus, I've had more items "withdrawn from sale" than usual...again, I suppose that was the seller having sold the item, locally, while the bid was still running ???
I saw another boo-boo a few days ago.  9 or 10 reels were up for auction.  I was outbid by a couple dollars.  Reels went for like $115.  A few minutes later those same reels showed up in the buy it now category for about $150.  A couple days later they disappeared.  Makes me wonder if the seller put them up on auction to get an idea what they were worth, then put them on BIN at an inflated price.

mo65

Quote from: mo65 on July 07, 2019, 03:44:34 PM

That's odd...that is the reel I bought! I bought a different listing though, same pics and description, but a different item number. Might want to think twice about ordering that one as it has already been shipped to me.

UPDATE I messaged the seller...he said he had two of these reels. Not sure why both listings used the same pics though. :-\

Crow

Well, I hope the "pictures" went with the reel you "won" ! Be a real bummer to get something that" doesn't look as good as it did in the listing" >:(

festus

Quote from: mo65 on July 07, 2019, 07:42:33 PM

Quote from: mo65 on July 07, 2019, 03:44:34 PM

That's odd...that is the reel I bought! I bought a different listing though, same pics and description, but a different item number. Might want to think twice about ordering that one as it has already been shipped to me.

UPDATE I messaged the seller...he said he had two of these reels. Not sure why both listings used the same pics though. :-\
I just re-checked ebay and the listing disappeared, so apparently someone bought it already. 

Midway Tommy

Nice walk through, Chester!

On another note, there has been a lot of hijacked crooked listings going on on eBay the last couple of years.  >:(  Usually, though, they're for the real high dollar items. 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

housebg

I have one(Heddon  230) not quite as good as picture but very smooth would trade for a Mitchell 314 or a340 or a rotor hub for a Mitchell 488   any one interested also have some others

A Compac Bantam  III clean reel but very rough

A Bache Brown Mastereel Model  3  Airex Corp  Division of Lionel Corp  Half bail works very well

A Spin Lite   Black body Gold spool

Looking for Lew speed spool spinning GSS 2F

xjchad

Quote from: housebg on September 21, 2019, 08:32:23 PM
I have one(Heddon  230) not quite as good as picture but very smooth would trade for a Mitchell 314 or a340 or a rotor hub for a Mitchell 488   any one interested also have some others

A Compac Bantam  III clean reel but very rough

A Bache Brown Mastereel Model  3  Airex Corp  Division of Lionel Corp  Half bail works very well

A Spin Lite   Black body Gold spool

Looking for Lew speed spool spinning GSS 2F

I PM'd you.
Husband, Father, Fisherman