Is bourbon a good degreaser?

Started by gstours, July 07, 2019, 02:58:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

Just wondering, seems like a good solution to me.  Just wondering.?🚣‍♀️ If you're not driving?🧜‍♂️

Dominick

Bourbon as a degreaser is blasphemy.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

MarkT

I think it must be... my innerds don't feel greasy at all.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

RowdyW

It makes a better antiseptic.  ;D ;D

Ron Jones

Its a fantastic lubricant for degrading homo sapien support structures. As far as degreasing, I'd rather kiss a wookie.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Shark Hunter

Good Whiskey is never a good degreaser.
Don't waste the Nectar for its purpose.
Only real Bourbon comes from the Great State of Kentucky.
All others are imposters and worthy of a degreaser. ;)
Life is Good!

David Hall

I'm with Dominick. This is sacreligious.  Well it is if your thinking scotch anyway.  Although use it to keep rust from accumulating but for medicinal purposes only and never anything less than 12 years old.

oc1

Despite all that, I don't think it will be a very good degreaser either.  No better than other dilute alcohols.  It will dissolve some of the grease but is not very aggressive.  It might help a little in a pinch.... say if you're too loaded to get up and go get the degreaser.

Grease is non-polar (don't ask, just go with it).  Like dissolves like (an old saying).  So you're better off with a non-polar solvent.  Non-polar solvents have hydrocarbons like mineral spirits, naphtha, acetone, etc.  You can also use a soap which has a hydrocarbon tail making it both polar and non-polar.

-steve

Ron Jones

OK Steve,
I'm just joking here, but I'd reckon that bourbon and Scotch are matured in charred oak barrels and therefore pick up some hydrocarbons. That's probably a bit non-polar :)
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Brewcrafter

I love this forum that we can have a serious tongue in cheek discussion on this  ;D.  Other than it being as others pointed out heinous and uncivilized, I would think (and there are actually long threads elsewhere in the forum that a pretty serious about this stuff like solvents) that the bottom line is - it will leave residue.  BUT - As the son of a veteran - I have heard many stories of "doing what you have to do to get it done" and I suppose if you are 8 days into an 18 day long range and really need to service bearings...you're gonna make it happen!

oc1

Quote from: Ron Jones on July 07, 2019, 11:31:20 PM
OK Steve,
I'm just joking here, but I'd reckon that bourbon and Scotch are matured in charred oak barrels and therefore pick up some hydrocarbons. That's probably a bit non-polar :)
The Man
Ron, somewhere in the back of my mind I had the notion that consuming a lot of hydrocarbon is not good for you.  Don't know if that is true or not but will reconsider in light of this new information  :)
-steve

MarkT

Maybe try some experimentation, just for scientific purposes of course.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Ron Jones

Quote from: oc1 on July 08, 2019, 08:18:46 PM
Quote from: Ron Jones on July 07, 2019, 11:31:20 PM
OK Steve,
The Man
Ron, somewhere in the back of my mind I had the notion that consuming a lot of hydrocarbon is not good for you.  Don't know if that is true or not but will reconsider in light of this new information  :)
-steve
I LIKE IT!
This is like BBQ meat, the lung association hates it because of hydrocarbons, but the heart association loves it because of the lower fat. I just know it tastes good, especially with a polar solvent that has been inundated with trace polar hydrocarbons! (I think I just exceeded silly.)
The Man
Ronald Jones
"

Fishy247

QuoteYou can also use a soap which has a hydrocarbon tail making it both polar and non-polar

Does this mean that soap is bipolar?

Ron Jones

Quote from: Fishy247 on July 09, 2019, 05:32:52 PM
QuoteYou can also use a soap which has a hydrocarbon tail making it both polar and non-polar

Does this mean that soap is bipolar?
Only if no Prozac.
The Man
Ronald Jones
"