Adding a second bearing...

Started by Alto Mare, July 08, 2019, 02:40:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

I was thinking if adding an additional bearing would change the free spool, so I decided to give it a shot...more to find out if it made sense to me.
I took a bearing from the 650SS and added it to the 113H bearing, I wasn't able to record it, my videos are taking up too much space.
From my test, I got a little better than double on free spool, so my speculations were wright :)

The stock bearing for the 113H was a perfect fit on the 650ss bearing.
I used a couple of drops of CA glue with the hardener, being very careful not to get it on the ball bearings to hold it in position.
A needle helped.

Best,

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Ron Jones

Great!
Did you turn the oversized bearing cup?
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

MarkT

A bearing in a bearing... is that like a 2-speed
bearing?
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Alto Mare

Quote from: MarkT on July 08, 2019, 03:36:53 AM
A bearing in a bearing... is that like a 2-speed
bearing?
Yes Mark of course, just a curiosity on my part.
Quote from: Ron Jones on July 08, 2019, 02:59:12 AM
Great!
Did you turn the oversized bearing cup?
The Man
Yes Ron! nothing fancy, did one quickly on my lathe.

The 113h is just fine as is, I'm just playing around with my toy🙂

Sal
Sorry Mark, I thought you said a bearing is a bearing.
No, it is not a two speed, I'm not that smart🙂.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Tiddlerbasher

Fishy247

But does it increase your casting distance? ;)

Crow

I've torn into just about every kind of machine there is, Sal....and this is the first time I've seen anything like this ! It would be interesting to know how many "revs" the outer bearing is making, in relation to the inner. In effect, you are "removing friction" from the "inner bearing's outer race", by letting it rotate.  I'm thinking you need to do some more "experimenting", as this *could* be a "money making idea " !!
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

steelfish

Quote from: Alto Mare on July 08, 2019, 09:43:22 AM

The 113h is just fine as is, I'm just playing around with my toy🙂

Sal

keep playing compadre,

you said 113h is just fine as is, but what about the new SS drag inserts, new drag washers like the torque for it, etc, etc..
everything can be upgradeable 

The Baja Guy

Gfish

Hada do a triple-take before figuring out what you did. How did you attach the larger bearing cup? Also it looks like there's a head-plate outter ring being used on your tail-plate.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

oc1

Quote from: Alto Mare on July 10, 2019, 12:43:12 AM
By the way, the 750ss (larger bearing) did much better.
Sal
Sal, are you saying that the larger (outside bearing) was spinning more?

It's sort of like having a back-up bearing too.  If one freezes up the other one takes over.

This is really neat, by the way.
-steve

Alto Mare

Not sure Steve, I do know something is happening. Crow might have it, I think the larger bearing is helping with minimizing friction.

I'm thinking as you keep adding more bearings, free spool and smoothness would increase quite a bit.

Sal

Crow

The only issue I can see....which would become a "larger" issue, as more bearings are added.....is , because of the "slop" in the bearing (I'll call it slop, but "clearance' does sound better !) needed to allow movement...and all bearings have "some"...or they wouldn't move !.....you would run into, as each "extra" bearing is added... more, and more 'slop", until there would be so much that a usable level of "tolerance" would be exceeded. The "optimum" bearing would be one of "mag-lev" style...where the shaft end is held ..in "suspension"...by a magnetic field. No lube required, and , except for "air resistance ...no friction.
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Ron Jones

I have thought of the mag lev before. I don't think you would need any power even. Adhere a cylindrical magnet around the spool shaft ends and screw in a magnet with a hole in it. Make sure all four magnets have the same polarity and stand by to tear off every bit of meat on your thumb right down to the bone!
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Tightlines667

Yea mag bearings and ceramic brakes.

Would mag field accelerate electrolysis/corosion though?

Sal,

Next thing you'll be thinking of creating a drive shaft that floats (is supported by) 2 bearings.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

oc1

Quote from: Ron Jones on July 11, 2019, 05:34:06 PM
I have thought of the mag lev before. I don't think you would need any power even. Adhere a cylindrical magnet around the spool shaft ends and screw in a magnet with a hole in it. Make sure all four magnets have the same polarity and stand by to tear off every bit of meat on your thumb right down to the bone!
The Man
Here you go Ron. Knock yourself out:
https://www.kjmagnetics.com/categories.asp?cat=9

The old Ryobi V-Mag 3 (one of my favorite reels) predates the use of neodymium magnets so it had two large magnetic discs with an aluminum cup attached to the spool riding between the two magnets.  These things cast like a bat coming out of a cave, but I don't know if there was any levitation involved.

-steve