alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial Adding a second bearing...
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
July 15, 2019, 08:08:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Adding a second bearing...  (Read 414 times)
oc1
Sensei

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2019, 01:37:14 PM »

I have thought of the mag lev before. I don't think you would need any power even. Adhere a cylindrical magnet around the spool shaft ends and screw in a magnet with a hole in it. Make sure all four magnets have the same polarity and stand by to tear off every bit of meat on your thumb right down to the bone!
The Man
Here you go Ron. Knock yourself out:
https://www.kjmagnetics.com/categories.asp?cat=9

The old Ryobi V-Mag 3 (one of my favorite reels) predates the use of neodymium magnets so it had two large magnetic discs with an aluminum cup attached to the spool riding between the two magnets.  These things cast like a bat coming out of a cave, but I don't know if there was any levitation involved.

-steve
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 02:09:02 PM by oc1 » Logged
oc1
Sensei

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2019, 02:03:27 PM »

Would mag field accelerate electrolysis/corosion though?
John
It doesn't seem to, but the stainless shell coating on neodymium magnets is really fragile.  If one magnet jumps across the bench onto another the shell can chip. Neodymium must be really vulnerable to corrosion because if the shell is chipped it will turn into a blob of rust.
-steve
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 02:10:17 PM by oc1 » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: