Orvis impossible request... I know.

Started by mark Hill, July 08, 2019, 04:12:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mark Hill

I have a pretty impossible request, I do realize that. But I'm hoping (fingers crossed) that one of you reel guru's may be able to help me out. I am in search of 2 brass cam pivots, 2 cam pivot springs and a couple bail springs for a pair of old Orvis 100 spinning reels that I have. It looks as tho the bails have been bent slightly outta shape are going to need some massaging before they ever work right again, and from what I have read the bails and bail springs are a bit finicky on these reels. The 100's seem like really nice well built reels and I know they are just begging to wrestle with some big ol' Smallmouth Bass...I have to make that happen!
"Sell a man a fish, he eats for a day, teach a man how to fish, and he will start collecting and refurbishing old reels"

Midway Tommy

I'm a little confused about which parts you are actually looking for. Cam springs & bail springs appear to be the same thing? Most of us call what they call a "cam" a bail arm. Here's a schematic. The parts list on the right side is in English. Zangi/Orvis parts are very difficult to come by nowadays.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

mark Hill

The picture is a bit blurry and my picture the numbers are cut off....but what I need is two (brass I believe) cam stop plungers, 2 cam stop springs and two bail springs.
"Sell a man a fish, he eats for a day, teach a man how to fish, and he will start collecting and refurbishing old reels"

mark Hill

The brass plunger has a spring that looks similar to the spring found on ink pens...tall and skinny where the bail spring is bigger around and has the straightened out end that goes in the plunger end slot and the other end goes into the hole in the bail itself to spring the bail arm. Kind of hard to explain but very easy once you see them.

mark Hill

GOT IT!>>>I'm sorry, I see the numbers now....18 21 and 22....lot of typing and confusion but we figured it out!!!

Midway Tommy

Do your two reels have have those parts or are they missing them. If you have the original parts they can be serviced to work as original, especially the plungers. The main culprit of non-working plungers is accumulation of old grease, dirt and plain old grunge. If they are in decent shape a good cleaning both the plunger and spring should take care of that problem. Both springs should be able to be adjusted to work as intended, but other springs can be easily adapted if you have the originals to use as a pattern.

Maybe you could post some pictures of the parts you are wanting to replace?

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

mark Hill

No parts at all, for some unknown reason these parts are totally missing from both reels. I don't know why they missing?The guy must have taken the reels apart and lost the parts, thats all I can figure. But to have two identical reels tore down, and to have lost the parts for BOTH reels?....that seems highly unlikely to say the least. I would sure love to get these reels in working order again because they are very nice quality made worm gear style reels.

Midway Tommy

Below are the parts you are looking for. A ball point pen spring can be cut off and adapted to work on the plunger. I know because I slid a spring over the shaft. The plunger is steel. Brass would work but it is softer and would eventually wear in the critical places. As you can see it is a precise part. It could easily be turned on a metal lathe but a small pin would need to be pressed into the outer part of the shaft. That pin slides in the slot at the top of the rotor plunger hole and the same slot that hold the bail spring. The bail spring needs to be inserted before the plunger so that the plunger can slide back and forth. The slot/recessed area that trips the bail would have to be the correct size, angle and depth to work correctly. Any bail spring in the correct diameter, wound the correct direction with five winds and appropriate extension location and directions should work. There are bail springs listed on eBay, though, but a lot of bail springs can be adapted to work in different reels.

Wish I could help but you'll have a hard time finding replacement plungers. I don't think I have ever seen one listed on eBay. You may have to purchase parts reels, and Orvis 100 parts reels don't come cheap. 

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

mark Hill

Thanks Midway Tommy. I have a mill and a metal lathe that I may have to fire up if I cannot find my parts...But I will keep looking for awhile in hopes that someone out there has the original parts first. I really appreciate all of your help and hopefully I can do the same for you (or any member) sometime in the future here. I really like this group and the information sharing here is priceless....Thanks so much...signed, Your "reel" friend Mark.

Midway Tommy

I can caliper it for you if you want me to.

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

mark Hill

foakes

Hi Mark —

Last year I worked on a client's Orvis 100 that needed the bail parts you need.  So I just took them out of an existing 100 that I had in one of the bins.

No promises — but I am looking for the parts you need in some of my old parts bins.

And also have requests out to a few of my more obscure parts suppliers that I use on a regular basis for tough vintage parts.

If you need any of the parts pictured on my 100 — you are welcome to them — No Charge.

And, if I can get the needed parts — I will let you also know on those.

Again, little or no charge if I can get the parts you need.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

I'll wait to see what Fred comes up with. Using the real deal as a pattern would be a lot more accurate. Hope you find a plunger, Fred. The springs are an easy substitute.

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

mark Hill

Fred, your offer is sooooo tempting for me to have some spare parts on hand (just in case) and I REALLY appreciate the offer! But there may be someone else down the line that will need some parts and pieces from your Orvis, and that would be unfair of me. I also think as bullet proof as these reels seem to be, I will be all set with just the parts that I need to get them spinning again. I'm pretty sure I will be a far better caregiver to these reels than the previous owner! And maybe you will eventually dig them up in your treasure trove of goodies or one of your connections will find them. Keep in touch and again thanks for all you do, and are doing, to keep these old reels in action.                                                                                                           
Tommy, I agree, and as I said I am in no "reel" big hurry...lol I have plenty of reels (vintage and newer) to keep me cranking on the water, or just holding and admiring.  In fact, I just picked up a DAM 220 ( my first DAM!!!) and after cleaning out all of the old nasty brown grease it's absolutely buttery smooth, as expected. I think I will eventually pick up an ultralight model and maybe even a 330. This site had a lot to do with me getting a DAM...lol I remember the DAM's but I was a Mitchell 300 and a Zebco XR XLR guy when I started out with spinning gear. My dad was a WWII guy, so Mitchell it was! He was a bit shocked when I came home with a couple of Zebco's...lol  Thanks again guys!