BEWARE REMOVING REEL FOOT SCREWS ON Okuma Makaira 10II SEa !!!

Started by mako42, July 08, 2019, 07:39:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mako42

I wanted to post this WARNING for anyone ordering a new Makaira 10II SEa!  DO NOT TRY TO REMOVE THE 4 FOOT SCREWS ATTACHED TO THE BOTTOM OF THE REEL!!!!  I am not sure if there is a thread about this because I didn't search too much here to find one.  After finally pulling the trigger on my new Makaira, I was HORRIFIED to see the first screw I tried to remove break off cleanly.  I was trying to remove the 4 reel seat screws and grease them and the reel seat, before mounting the reel to it's new home.  Thats as far as I got in the brand new reel greasing process.  After calling Okuma, they said that the foot screws are glued into the reel body and ARE NOT MEANT TO BE REMOVED.  They said that they would make an exception and fix this problem under warranty but I should have not messed with those screws at all.  They also said there are about 3-4 incidences of this "problem" every year and they should put this important information in the paperwork of the new reel, but they haven't done so.  I learned much about reels from this website, and from all the experts here.  Cleaning and greasing a brand new reel was (as I have read here) the correct way for it to last and last and prevent future breakdowns.  This is not my first rodeo, as I have about 40 spinners and conventional reels (including an Okuma Andros 5II) that I have stripped to the bone and greased and oiled using this websites awesome tutorial advice.  This incident is my first real setback in all that work.  Every reel I successfully serviced (using this website) gave me confidence to tackle my next, and even friends new reels were being taken apart by me with ever building knowledge and confidence.   It was this confidence (That all of you on ALAN TANI gave me) that gave me the balls to disassemble my beautiful new reel that had never ever been used....ever.   I was staring in disbelief and I felt like someone had punched me in the gut when that screw snapped!!  I have to tell you that the confidence in my abilities to work on my reels has taken a big hit. I am waiting for my reel to come back from Okuma, but I am a LOT more nervous about taking it apart now!!  I wondered if anyone else had a similar experience with their Okuma reel seat, or am I the only bonehead that didn't know to leave it alone. 

Bryan Young

I have made it a practice to heat the screws with the a propane torch before removing those screws to grease them because of the few broken screws that I have had...and not only the Makairas, but other Okuma reels as well. 
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

nelz

I never remove those on any reel. IMHO, a few drops of CorrosionX around the bolts and reel foot edges when new, and then after each use, is all you need. Glad Okuma's taking care of it for you.

Ron Jones

I remember an interesting Okuma reel foot fastener failure last year! Maybe the boys in Ontario should address this.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

mako42

Thanks for all the information and thanks Alan for the video on how to remove the foot screws.  I got my reel back from Okuma and they said they replaced the reel body to fix the problem.  I am going to take it fishing a few times before I try to take it apart again.  Hopefully the other screws come out like they are supposed to.