Heddon 222

Started by festus, July 09, 2019, 03:15:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

These Heddons continue to appear on ebay for decent prices.  This 222 would probably be considered a medium size freshwater reel.  Heddon spinners would be considered heavy or bulky compared to modern reels, probably because they contain no graphite and very little plastic.  This one could have been fished as it arrived adding some line.  The handle turned freely and it was clean outside.

It wasn't as clean inside as on the outside, but l've seen worse.

As usual, pull out the pin and the axle is removed next.

There is an oscillator under all that soft, grimy grease that was functioning pretty well despite the nastiness.

The rotor nut is 12mm and has standard right handed threads.

No bearings in this reel, but there is a bronze bushing surrounding the pinion.

I didn't plan on disassembling the anti-reverse, but a spring and dog fell out anyway.  ::)

Again, a very simple engineered reel with a minimum of parts.  The bail assembly was clean and functioning very crisply, so l left it alone.

Getting the anti-reverse dog and dog spring reassembled was somewhat of a hassle, so l didn't get a pic.  Figured if l screwed part of the handle back on it wouldn't jump out of place and the main gear would be secured.

I checked both the pinion and main gear with a magnifying glass and didn't see any wear.

All l did for the bail assembly was add a drop of oil to the trip lever....

....and a dab of grease here.

The rotor spun freely after it was reconnected.

Innards assembly is finished....

....so fasten her up.

I've seen this drag assembly in other Heddons, one really thick felt washer and one metal washer.

This is a good, solid reel. Not in the same class as the similar sized 230, 248 or 282, but it wasn't intended to be.  I imagine these were about 10 or 12 bucks when they were on the market. It weighs in at 11.75 oz but "looks" heavier.  Line capacity listed by the manufacturer is 200 yds of 8 lb mono.  Could possibly be a "big brother" of the Heddon 238 l reviewed a while back.

Midway Tommy

Nice review, Chester! Looks like your display cabinet will soon be full of those green Heddons.  ;)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

bhale1

Thanks for the walk thru Chester....never tire of seeing these types of posts.
Brett

Captain64-200

Very interesting , the pictures are great ! Focus and light are top notch...thanks .
Fred from Biarritz ,

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

mo65

Quote from: Captain64-200 on July 09, 2019, 07:43:00 AM
Very interesting , the pictures are great ! Focus and light are top notch...thanks .

Agreed...your pics are looking great Chester! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Gfish

On some of these older reels, the gear boxes look nice and roomy. Kinda like the engine compartment on American cars from the 60's & 70's.
Good pictures really are a thing, I think I'mina have'ta experiment around more with back lighting.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

xjchad

Looks like the main gear might be bronze or brass instead of that cast alloy?  Can you confirm that?
Husband, Father, Fisherman

festus

Quote from: xjchad on July 09, 2019, 07:07:25 PM
Looks like the main gear might be bronze or brass instead of that cast alloy?  Can you confirm that?
Chad, l think it's an alloy maybe plated with brass or bronze because it eventually wears down to another metal underneath.  Some of the  South Bends have some similar gears.

xjchad

Quote from: festus on July 09, 2019, 10:10:43 PM
Quote from: xjchad on July 09, 2019, 07:07:25 PM
Chad, l think it's an alloy maybe plated with brass or bronze because it eventually wears down to another metal underneath.  Some of the  South Bends have some similar gears.

Good to know, thanks Chester!  Nice work!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

happyhooker

Have a 222; the drag wasn't as good as I felt it could be, as there was very little adjustment range, there being no spring in the drag stack.  There was room for a small wave washer, which I popped in, and the range has been extended a little so that a micro movement of the drag knob doesn't make things go from no drag to locked up.  Minimal room for the bail to clear the drag knob when pulling the bail back to cast & spool is fully extended; don't know if anyone else has seen that. Have run it with 8 lb. test and it has proven solid with some carp & largemouth buffalo.  The finger pad on the crank is one of the more comfortable I have run across.  And, of course, with that color combo, it's always a conversation starter.

I'm thinking maybe the 212, 222, & 266 were kind of a group of Heddon reels, with the almost straight reel leg & other visual similarities.

Frank

mo65

Quote from: happyhooker on July 10, 2019, 02:42:58 AM
Have a 222; the drag wasn't as good as I felt it could be, as there was very little adjustment range, there being no spring in the drag stack.  There was room for a small wave washer, which I popped in, and the range has been extended a little so that a micro movement of the drag knob doesn't make things go from no drag to locked up. The finger pad on the crank is one of the more comfortable I have run across.

I'd say with use the thick felt gets squished...taking away some adjustment range. Adding that spring washer is a great idea. I too love that particular handle knob...it's a gem. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~