The Roddy 820-A

Started by mo65, July 10, 2019, 01:23:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

Here's a reel that is a bit of a surprise when opened. All bronze gears and bushings...no major parts made of plastic...and an interesting ball bearing set up. Some of the tolerances are a little more loose than most reels of this build quality, but it's still a solid piece. For a thorough tear down tutorial of this reel see Chester's Heddon 230 thread. The only difference between the two is the paint job.

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=28926.0

The first photo shows the inside as received, lubed with that terrible cream colored grease. The felt drag washer needs cleaned and oiled for the best performance.

All the moving parts spin in bronze bushings...the main gear shaft, the pinion, and even the spool shaft.

As you can see below, the bearing assembly completely comes apart. As suggested by Chester, a magnet is very helpful in keeping control of those 16 tiny steel balls. When reassembled, the rotor has absolutely no wobble. It doesn't spin super free, but it's rock solid.

These drivetrain parts are what demanding fishermen want to see...no pot metal in this one.

After cleaning the drag assembly, I noticed I had no under spool washer. I checked the schematic and it didn't show one. There is no way my reel's spool is going to grind on the drag ratchet!

Is a milk jug cap Teflon? Delrin? Probably Polypropylene...but whatever it is they work great in a light power situation.

Now the drag is slick as butter. Probably lost a few pounds on top, but you'll never miss it, the entire range is usable now.

This reel came boxed, with these two pamphlets.  

I'll likely shelve this gal, but it could certainly fish hard. The handle feels a bit small, and the paint isn't the best, but this reel will outlast many others. 8)

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

festus

Good observation on the under spool washer, Michael.  Mine didn't have one either.

What did you lube the bearings with?  I used a light coating of Super Lube. 

The Roddy's handle is different from the Heddon. Other than the paint they're identical.

Before I joined this group I'd never heard of a Roddy reel.  Roddy rods, yes, I have a 9' MH surfcaster with the original guides and wrapping.

mo65

Quote from: festus on July 10, 2019, 01:57:18 AM
Good observation on the under spool washer, Michael.  Mine didn't have one either.

What did you lube the bearings with?  

You should add the under spool washer Chester...it really improves the drag. I used Penn Blue on the bearings so it would all stick together. Then after it was buttoned down I squirted some synthetic oil in there to limber it up.

happyhooker

Good run downs on both the Roddy and Heddon sisters.  Thanks, boys.

Frank

xjchad

Nice Mo!
Did you measure the thickness of the milk cap washer?  I think it's a great idea, but I'm wondering if it would throw off the line lay on the spool at all?
Husband, Father, Fisherman

thorhammer

Nice, Mike! Cap is most likely HDPE, maybe LDPE. Way too expensive out of Teflon.

mo65

Quote from: xjchad on July 10, 2019, 02:47:20 PM
Nice Mo!
Did you measure the thickness of the milk cap washer?  I think it's a great idea, but I'm wondering if it would throw off the line lay on the spool at all?

Yes Chad, if it were very thick it would affect the line lay. The milk cap is only 8 thousandths thick, most of the reason I selected it. I tried a Penn 720z under spool teflon first, and at 32 thousandths it did wreck the line lay.

Crow

Just a guess, on my part, Mo....but I'm thinking that on a Looong, screamin" run....that milk cap plastic will start to melt. Anytime I've used that type of plastic, I've found it doesn't handle heat, very well.
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

xjchad

Quote from: mo65 on July 10, 2019, 04:52:22 PM
Quote from: xjchad on July 10, 2019, 02:47:20 PM
Nice Mo!
Did you measure the thickness of the milk cap washer?  I think it's a great idea, but I'm wondering if it would throw off the line lay on the spool at all?

Yes Chad, if it were very thick it would affect the line lay. The milk cap is only 8 thousandths thick, most of the reason I selected it. I tried a Penn 720z under spool teflon first, and at 32 thousandths it did wreck the line lay.

Only 8 thou?  That's nothing, sounds like the perfect solution  :)
Husband, Father, Fisherman

mo65

Quote from: Crow on July 10, 2019, 05:04:43 PM
Just a guess, on my part, Mo....but I'm thinking that on a Looong, screamin" run....that milk cap plastic will start to melt. Anytime I've used that type of plastic, I've found it doesn't handle heat, very well.

You're probably right Crow, but in my neck of the woods, ain't nothin' around to make such a run. As a side note, I don't recommend the milk cap for a tuna reel. ;D

Captain64-200

Looks like an  old tackle shop window ...great picture ! This Roddy seems brand new .
Fred from Biarritz ,

Midway Tommy

Well done Mike & Chester! From past experiences with lots of loose ball type rotor bearing re-installations there is a very fine line between being too tight with the rotor/pinion nut, optimum shim thickness and a free & smooth rotating rotor. A little bit of adjustment makes a huge difference on ball friction.

Years back I make a trip to Ace Hardware and picked up a big stash of teflon and mylar washers in varying sizes from their specialty bins. They aren't very expensive, a few cents each, and really come in handy when drag washers need to be added. The mylars are quite thin and hold up well under heat and friction, especially if they'e the correct size and lubed.   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

mo65

Quote from: Midway Tommy on July 10, 2019, 06:50:48 PM
Well done Mike & Chester! From past experiences with lots of loose ball type rotor bearing re-installations there is a very fine line between being too tight with the rotor/pinion nut, optimum shim thickness and a free & smooth rotating rotor. A little bit of adjustment makes a huge difference on ball friction. 

I wish I had mentioned this in the post Tommy...you are absolutely correct...I forgot that I had tightened the rotor nut too snug on the initial assembly. Having set the preload on more than one automotive bearing, I knew what was up as soon as I turned the reel handle!