Dropped spool

Started by Mjg378, July 10, 2019, 02:21:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mjg378

I had a lot of trouble unscrewing the drag cover on a penn 30vsx. I spent a Lot of time trying to get the cover off.  I rolled the edges of the slots using the Penn tool trying to get it apart.   Finally I cut an edge off on each side of the drag cover and put it in a vise with a rubber strap protecting the spool. I was able to get a grip with a rather “large” adjustable pliers and unscrew the cover   All was well, took it all apart.   The  only thing I would need to buy is a new 5$ drag cover........Then....
I bobbled the spool and dropped it. 
My question to you all is did I ruin the spool. It’s a very minor dent.  Will this be need to be replaced. I would think it shouldn’t be a problem, but I Wanted to check. Any body else have this happen.  Did it make a difference or cause any problems down the road.     I have two pictures included.  I can take more if needed.   
Thanks in advance! 
Mike

foakes

It appears to be no problem from this end of the internets...

If I get these like this — a very fine jewelers file to flush the ding back to square, along with some 600 Emory paper — should do it.

These are strong spools — and the spot will not show when you are done — or very little.

Should work perfect.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Mjg378

Fred,
  Thank you very much!   Amazing the technical assistance available here on Alan's site.  Allows a hobbiest like me to work on any fishing reel and have 100% confidence my gear (especially when you mess something up).  Thanks again Fred!   Thank you Alan for this site. 
Mike

alantani

you should be fine.  been there......   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Cor

Quote from: foakes on July 10, 2019, 04:58:03 AM
It appears to be no problem from this end of the internets...

If I get these like this — a very fine jewelers file to flush the ding back to square, along with some 600 Emory paper — should do it.

These are strong spools — and the spot will not show when you are done — or very little.

Should work perfect.

Best,

Fred
Agreed!   

Some reel spools are very soft and I twice dropped my Tranx spools on to my workbench, maybe <18 inches resulting in dents.   Minimal repair with a file and some water paper and your fine to go.

I would hate to see what a drop on to the floor would do $$$
Cornelis

Ruffy

If you do file it back, just make sure you give a good coat of grease/nail polish/wax to make sure you don't create a potential for corrosion!

Cheers,
Andrew